Avet SX MC rebuild & loss of free spool issue - SOLVED

Started by vandenhooff, September 30, 2012, 04:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandenhooff

Hi all.

First of all thanks to Alan and all the contributors. I've learned a lot.

After fishing yesterday I tore down my SX MC to take a peek. It was operating just fine but while fishing I accidentally dunked it (in a fresh water, clear river, no sand/silt). So as I wrote above, the tear down was for a look-see, to wipe out excess water, and to apply grease/oil if required. I have torn it down a few times without incident.

It free spools nicely when the spool, spool shaft and lever drag are assembled as a unit. It loses free spool once this assembly is re-attached to the housing. I put it together by following the Avet schematic. And finally, it has free spool in the full drag position with the tension backed off.

This was not the case before the tear down, obviously I've done something

Bryan Young

It may be that you have to tighten he preset knob. I cannot recall. My memory is going.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

it's supposed to lose freespool like that.  it's magged!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: alantani on October 01, 2012, 12:40:25 AM
it's supposed to lose freespool like that.  it's magged!

the distance between the  mag and spool increased when you put more drag hence it free spools better.

alantani

yeah, but you can't back off the magnet enough to get rid of the effect.  too bad......
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: alantani on October 02, 2012, 02:13:01 AM
yeah, but you can't back off the magnet enough to get rid of the effect.  too bad......

it's exactly this reason why my MXJ's MC is always set at 1. i thought of covering the magnet with a thin piece of metal to lessen the magnet's effect on the spool. haven't done it yet but someday i will.

vandenhooff

I guess I didn't explain myself very well. With no drag and the lever in full position it freespools, however, when I moved the lever to free, it binds. That is NOT normal. Anyway...

For whatever reason the bellevilles needed to be rearranged. I noted when I took it apart they were ()(). The schematic shows (()) and that's how reassembled them. The position makes a difference in my reel. I had to go back to ()()

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

this belleville configuration was discussed at bd outdoors. apparently avet made a mistake with the schematics showing this configuration (()).  the correct one is how you configured it. tight lines...