Yo Alto, quick ? on a 450ss

Started by BogueSounder, October 01, 2012, 01:31:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BogueSounder

Was working several reels over today in prep for a trip. Took my trusty 450ss apart, lubed and reassembled. Anti reverse not working. Scratched head. Took apart again. Checked everything - rachet gear orientation, dog, trip cam etc. Everything installed correctly. I'd post a pic to prove it, but Alto Mare already has one up for the same reel that I viewed at least 50 times today. Thanks for that by the way! Helped me keep some sense of sanity.

The dog will engage perfect every time until I put the rotor on and tighten it. Did this over and over today. Was working fine before I tore down today...which I do a few times a year to this reel. What gives?

I recall Alto stating somewhere that the small aluminum flanges on the dog (don't know part name) occasionally give out. Mine look fine and have a tight connection with the rachet gear. Using penn blue grease lightly. No old grease globs.

Wish I had a extra dog to test it out. Just not convinced that is the problem. Guess ill need to order one. Any ideas Alto?

Many thanks -Mark

Alto Mare

Hello Mark, I've also been fooled in the past with that dog.It might look good and tight, but I'm sure it will need to be replaced. Somehow the dog on this particular model in very sensitive, get yourself one of these:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/4-450.aspx ....read the note at the bottom, there has been some design change with this part, I have the older model 450ss and I just replace it with the older parts.
It's  a good idea for you to also replace the ratchet, it's only a couple of dollars. I'm pretty sure that this will do it, there isn't much else to look at in that reel.
I love mine by the way, I have a couple and always take them along. Take care.
Sal

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

Sals the man on penns. He's right its best to replace the silent dog and ratchet. For a quick repair I've tweaked the aluminum arms by squeezing them a little to make them grip the ratchet better. Sometimes it will get you fishing while your waiting on parts. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

BogueSounder

Sal...will replace with your spec'd part. Thanks. I know you are right and have faith in your skills, but it is strange to not see visible damage in the dog. Guess it is very fine wearing on the inside of the dog flanges.  And yes, I always keep the 450 and 550 with me also. Good reels.

Bob, thanks for the tip. That was the first thing I tried yesterday. While it is tight on the rachet, I guess it has worn too smooth to catch.

Not fishing till the 11th. Should be fine if I order today...shipping $ still high there I assume. I haven't ordered any parts for some time. Time to figure out everything I think I will need for the coming year :)

Many thanks Gents...love this site,
Mark

Bryan Young

You may want to clean off that grease and lube it with corrosionX or something like that.  Grease wings on the dog is not as responsive.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BogueSounder

Bryan,
Thanks for the tip, I will try. I actually only had Corrosion X on it until half way through trying to fix it yesterday. I started to loose my brain and try anything. At one point I decided the C. X. was making it too slippy on the rachet and causing it to not catch on the fingers, so I cleaned off the C.X. and greased it hoping that would help it catch better. Anyway. Sometimes you gotta just put a project down, and come back to it...ha. Returning with new parts always seems to help me also! Ordered a few new dogs and other parts I have been meaning to replace on a few reels.

Thanks guys,
M