[ASK] daiwa ryoga 1016HL spool bearing

Started by cahbuzz, October 01, 2012, 08:16:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cahbuzz

hello everyone...
here's the thing, i want to change the daiwa ryoga's spool bearing with BB abec 7.
the problem is, i dont have the specific pliers or tools for it.
i know the price for the boca pliers, it near 50-60 USD, and for one abec 7 near 20USD.

do you have any recommendation how to change the bearing without the specific tools or pliers?

alantani

here is an old calcutta 400 spool.  note that the bearing (well, bushing, in this case) is held in by a cross pin. 

we're going to remove the cross pin with a special tool.  it's a ratty old pair of vise grips with a slot cut in one side. 

oh, c'mon, stop laughing!  it's all i had laying around and i'm on a budget!  anyway, i cut a slot in the side with a bench grinder.  if i had to do it over again, i'd use the cut off wheel from my dremmel.

you just press the pin out half way, the pull it out the rest of the way and be careful not to mangle it up.  remember, you need that pin!

see, nice and clean!  now find a bearing with the same dimensions as this old bushing, say 5x11x3 mm, press the pin back in and you're in business!

nice, huh!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

cahbuzz

hahaha...is it safety???

i mean, im not a pro mr. alantani. what should i do or do not if i have a tool like yours?

Nessie Hunter

Let me just give a warning in doing that...

The Ryoga Spool is made of very, very light metal (like foil almost)..
If you so much as touch it while pulling that pin - It is Toast!!!!
You will never get it round or smooth again.....

That method is fine with heavier/solid spools.......

The pin Removal tool is well worth the money, works like a charm and saves you that worry.
Or pay some one with the the tools to service/change it for you......
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!