Penn 15 kg

Started by cooper669, September 25, 2009, 12:54:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooper669

Just bought a used Penn 15kg. Alan do you have any suggestions/tricks to upgrade it? What, if any parts can I use or exchange with this reel?

alantani

the 15 is a great reel.  i'd rearrange the bellevilles, grease the drags, pack the non-spool bearings with grease, clean, lube and re-install open the spool bearings, and consider an optional 6/0 kolekar handle grip.  the single speed gld post is very close.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=268.0  the two speed shifter mechanism is not covered but is fairly straight forward.  please take pictures and let us know how you do!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

cooper669

Thanks for the advise Alan. I could not find my camera to take pics but your pics of the GLD pretty much covers it. The bellvilles were ()() when I took it apart, so I put it back together the same way. I cleaned out the spool bearings and lubed with ReelX and reinstalled them open. Cleaned out and re-packed the right side bearing, greased the drag washer. The only pain was screwing  the 2 speed shifter housing back on without the release button and springs falling out, but I eventually got it together. Thanks again

alantani

yeah, the single speed tutorial obviously does not have a 2-speed shifter.  need to go through that........
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!