Avet 30w question

Started by Earl, October 02, 2012, 11:37:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earl

Hi all. Last month I bought a new avet 30w for a trip to Mexico next month. A few days ago I decided to put the line on it, and while doing so I discoved that the drag range is very short. With the pre-set knob backed off fully, I'm still getting 25# of drag when the lever is half way between the bait setting and strike. Isn't this excessive? I pulled the reel apart yesterday and everything looks as it should, according to the schematic. My scale is not heavy enough to measure the drag at strike, but I'm sure it would be much more than Avet's numbers, and this is with the pre-set knob fully backed off.
Anyone got any thots on this? Thanks

SoCalAngler

That does not sound right. When you have the preset know fully backed off you should get very little to no drag force. When messing around with the reel and adjusting the drag force you have the lever placed in freespool right?

Earl

Yes. Lever is fully backed off (free spool) before the pre-set knob is moved. I just checked it again and I'm getting 5-6# of drag at the bait position, and 22# at the half way mark between bait and strike. I'm really at a loss since this is much more than my 50SDS puts out. I checked the cam and housing when I had it apart yesterday and all looks OK there. ?.
I'm starting to wonder about Avet as I had to replace the cam housing on my brand new 50 last year. Turned out it was over tightened and distorted.

alantani

new bellevilles, and possibly a new cam, from avet?   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Earl

Thanks for the input, guy's. I'm starting to get frustrated with Avet as this is the second time I've had a problem with a new reel. Funny thing is, I have four smaller avets, JX, LX and HXs and all operated perfectly right out of the box, but the 50 needed repairs and now this 30w has problems, both right out of the box. That's not right for a brand new reel. Anyway, I've e-mailed Avet about it and will wait for their responce. Hopefully I won't have to ship it back to them, as that gets pricey from here in eastern Canada.
Thanks again

Fish-aholic

Quote from: Earl on October 03, 2012, 01:12:35 AM
Thanks for the input, guy's. I'm starting to get frustrated with Avet as this is the second time I've had a problem with a new reel. Funny thing is, I have four smaller avets, JX, LX and HXs and all operated perfectly right out of the box, but the 50 needed repairs and now this 30w has problems, both right out of the box. That's not right for a brand new reel. Anyway, I've e-mailed Avet about it and will wait for their responce. Hopefully I won't have to ship it back to them, as that gets pricey from here in eastern Canada.
Thanks again

Hi Earl,

Your best bet is to either take the reel back to the place of purchase - or return it via post, if purchased over the internet. When bought from new, your Avet will be under warranty with the shop you purchased said reel from, and the shop are the one's who have to deal with your issue as you have a consumer contract with them (1yr warranty from date of purchase). Your issue is not with Avet directly, but, to reiterate, it's with the shop you purchased said reel from. A brand new reel that is not fit for purpose, is a breach of contract to your consumer rights. Replacing the reel should not cost you a dime in getting it replaced/repaired. Hope this helps  :)  

Fish-aholic

Forgot to add, the above is how the consumer rights apply in the UK (1yr warranty from date of purchase), this might vary in the US, especially depending on which state purchased from  :-\

Keta

I'd call Avet and talk to them about your reel, try to get Scott if you can.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Earl

Hi guy's. Took your advice and called Avet. Spoke to Scott who suggested I send them the reel. As I live in easter Canada, (shipping costs 50-50$ one way) that will be a last resort. I took the reel apart again and everthing looks good and operates smoothly. What I wondering is if anyone knows the dimensions for part #EXW302-038. It's the gear bearing, and I'm thinking it might be the wrong one. If it''s to thick that would account for the heavy drag, but I've no idea what the proper dimensions should be. Any help would be appreciated.

Zinox

Are you sure the washers and bearings is installed in the right order, when i greased the carbox disk in med SX raptor, i acedently placed some of it in the wrong order, and ended up with the problem you describe, after looking in the schematic i found the problem, and now it works perfekt.

Earl

Thanks for the suggestions. Took the reel completely apart (for the last time) and checked every single part on the schematic and all seems right and in it's proper place. Still get 4# drag at 'bait' and 22# at the half way mark between freespool and strike. Turn the pre-set one half turn in and the lever is locked up. Maybe in a couple of weeks when I cool down I'll send it back to Avet, but it's a bitter pill to swallow with a brand new reel.

alantani

try playing around with the belleville stack and see if that has an effect.  with four bellevilles, the softest configuration is "()()", next is "(())" and the stiffest is "((((".  removing thrust (flat) spacing washers might also give you more range on the preset knob. 

Zinox

Sorry but hijacked the topic 2 sec,
Alan, do you have any experience with what bellevilles setup that gives the smoothest "flow" when increasing drag? in my raptor there are 6 bellevilles and they are lined like this (())() from the factory. would it give a more smooth increase if they were like ()()() or ((())) fx.

alantani

the belleville issue has come up before, but it's always worth reiterating.  there are two extremes.  

the softest configuration is "()()" or "()()()".  these give you the greatest height (or width, in this case).  this stack of springs has the greatest amount of deflection, meaning that they squish down more.  this stack takes the least amount of force to compress.  in a fishing reel, when you adjust the preset knob, you can crank the knob quite a bit and changes in drag pressure are not that great.  as you throw the lever forward, the increase is drag pressure is not that great.  and finally, the maxiumum drag is pretty low.  

a stiffer configuration would be more like "(())" or "((()))".  it is a shorter stack, when you squeeze down on it, it compresses less, you have to push harder to get any deflection at all.  in a fishing reel, small changes in the preset knob will give you big changes in drag pressure.  pushing the lever from strike to full will also give you big changes in drag pressure.  your maximum drag is much higher, but it is very difficult to adjust and it's very easy to crunch the right main side plate bearing with too much pressure.  

and lastly, the overall height (width) of the belleville stack can be important.  sometimes the belleville stack has to be an exact width.  if you go from a stock configuration of "()()" to a stiffer "(())", you may have to add a flat washer or another belleville to keep the same height.  

make sense?

Keta

Getting old is not good, in the back if my mind your problem sounds familiar but it's been over 7 years since I had an Avet 30 apart and I
don't remember what I did to fix it.  When I get back from the coast I'll see if I can tear one down and try to duplicate your problem.

Possibly spacing on the floating metal drag disk, the groves the C clips are two different heights, or the springs that hold it.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain