Old Vintage Arjon Fighter !

Started by Drisse, October 03, 2012, 01:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drisse

Hello !

I got an old swedish Arjon Fighter ( 1958 - 1960 ). The reel is completly taken apart and such an old reel should be quite easy to rebuild. But the old Arjon reels are a bit more compclicated than many other old reels like Abu etc. So I take a chance and post my question on this forum. Have anyone teard apart an old Arjon reel ? The reel was exported to America, so maybe someone here got it ? I have faild a couple of times to rebuild it and I can't find any schematics for this reel. I've even checked with the people in the swedish collector club. The Arjon Fighter should be similar to Arjon Commander.

Thanks in advance !

Bryan Young

Welcome Drisse under the circumstances. I haven't heard of this reel, and hope someone here can help.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Robert Janssen

Quote...and such an old reel should be quite easy to rebuild...

I don't know what makes you say that. Old doesn't neccesarily mean simple.

Please, please be very careful with that reel. I don't know why you took it apart, but great care should be aimed towards getting it back together, preferably unchanged.

Schematics? No. And I know it says it was patented, but I can find no record of that.

And nobody at SKR could help?

Hmm.

Well, see it as a puzzle... I presume the levelwind is what is giving you trouble. Just sit down and go through each piece, looking at wear marks, dirt, etc... it might take some time, but you'll probably figure it out eventually.

Drisse

No. you're right Robert. Old doesn't mean simple. But i refer to the old Abu Record reels. I think they are very simple compared to the Arjon reel.
Japp, now I wonder why i took it apart ??? The reel is in quite good stand, but it was very dirty, so I took it apart.
Normally I put them together at once. But for some reason this one got stuck on the table for a long while.
Of course I'll be carefull with the reel. I'm a collector of old Abu Record fishing reels. I only have one other brand and thats the Arjon Fighter.
No, I asked most of the old foxes in SKR since I'm a member myself.

Robert Janssen

You know, i was thinking that maybe the guys at ORCA could help.
They're sometimes somewhat reserved, but often very resourceful bunch.

Try there. Some of them are also in Scandinavia, which helps.

Doc.

Drisse

Hi Robert !

I will try at Orca and see if I have any luck.

alantani

found one!  looks pretty simple.

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Drisse

Yes, I know it looks simple, but it quite complicated inside. To be a reel from the late 50:s its very impressive inside.
No rocket science, but I failed to rebuild it a couple of times now. To many really tiny parts in this one.

So the best would be if any skilled person who owns a Arjon Fighter could take a couple of pictures :)

You have to agree Alan, its a beutiful reel.

Irish Jigger

Is there a lever/knob missing from that reel?

reelgood

this guy might be able to help you.  what are the 4 holes on the left sideplate for?  The red paddlewheel is the clicker?

http://orca-online.org/reel-talk/viewtopic.php?t=10221

Robert Janssen

There are no knobs or levers missing.

The holes in the left sideplate are to facilitate air flow across the red paddle wheel of the pneumatic cast control.

the reel is more intricate than what it may appear, not leastly by way of Arjon's solution to the age-old riddle of the levelwind problem: Levelwinds are good to have on the retrieve, but are in the way of the line during the cast.

Arjon solved this by making a mechanism wherein the two sides of the levelwind window split apart and move away to either side as the clutch release button is depressed.

This feature was shared with the Arjon Commander, which also featured an automatic clutch mechanism for casting. No idea how that worked.

Disse, ABU used a functionally similar levelwind many years later on the Ultra Mag or Mag series. Maybe you can find food for thought by looking at that.

Doc.

reelgood

Quote from: Robert Janssen on October 06, 2012, 09:17:08 AM

The holes in the left sideplate are to facilitate air flow across the red paddle wheel of the pneumatic cast control.

the reel is more intricate than what it may appear, not leastly by way of Arjon's solution to the age-old riddle of the levelwind problem: Levelwinds are good to have on the retrieve, but are in the way of the line during the cast.

Arjon solved this by making a mechanism wherein the two sides of the levelwind window split apart and move away to either side as the clutch release button is depressed.

This feature was shared with the Arjon Commander, which also featured an automatic clutch mechanism for casting. No idea how that worked.

very neat, thanks for the education