Penn 113h first time maintenance. Is something wrong?

Started by Augie3000, October 05, 2012, 10:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Augie3000

Thanks Sal.  I think I have an idea about how this works now.  As far as the gear rubbing, do you think that might be something that gets worked out naturally after using the reel for a while?  I thought you said something like that earlier.  Is that correct?

Alto Mare

Yes, it will eventually set itself in. Seeing how much patience you have with this reel, I'm going to recommend to let it go. Put it back together and go get some fish, I'll bet that it will get better for you on its own.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

Augie, Sometimes Penn Parts makes a mistake. The last washer set I ordered only had one eared washer but i had a spare.
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Augie3000

Thanks for the help everyone, and for the wrench Alan.  I'll update you all on how it works when I take it out fishing, which unfortunately won't be for a few weeks when I finally move down to Florida. 

George4741

Nice photos, Augie.  

I had a similar problem on my 113H.  Like you, I placed a 6-875 washer under the main gear and the gear rubbed against the sideplate.  Here is what I found on my reel:

The tolerances were close on this reel and the top edge of the teeth rubbed against the sideplate.

I had to remove some of the material on this first step.  I used a square bottomed dremel bit in a drill press and slowly increased the depth.  That's why the cut looks so uniform and neat.

Later, I ordered a 113H carbontex drag washer set from Dawn and it included this #12 carbontex washer to install under the main gear.  This washer is thinner than the 6-875 (it's dimensions are very similar to the original 4-349 washer that Penn installs under the main gear) and may allow you to assemble your reel without any rubbing or dremeling.  

I have an extra carbontex washer and will send it to you at no charge, if you want to try it under your main gear.  Just send me a pm with your address and I'll get in the mail on Monday.  
 George
viurem lliures o morirem

broadway

Nice going, Auggie.  I've been working like a mad man and hadn't noticed your post.  I see you got the attention of the best of the best and they have you on the straight and narrow.  I'm glad you got into the 113H to see what she's made of, and ya got a wrench from the boss, too... nice work! Let us know how she purrs when you straighten her out on some grouper ;)
Dom

Alto Mare

Quote from: George4741 on October 07, 2012, 04:44:23 AM
Nice photos, Augie. 

I had a similar problem on my 113H.  Like you, I placed a 6-875 washer under the main gear and the gear rubbed against the sideplate.  Here is what I found on my reel:

The tolerances were close on this reel and the top edge of the teeth rubbed against the sideplate.

I had to remove some of the material on this first step.  I used a square bottomed dremel bit in a drill press and slowly increased the depth.  That's why the cut looks so uniform and neat.

Later, I ordered a 113H carbontex drag washer set from Dawn and it included this carbontex washer to install under the main gear.  This washer is thinner than the 6-875 (it's dimensions are very similar to the original 4-349 washer that Penn installs under the main gear) and may allow you to assemble your reel without any rubbing or dremeling. 

I have an extra carbontex washer and will send it to you at no charge, if you want to try it under your main gear.  Just send me a pm with your address and I'll get in the mail on Monday. 
  George
George, your pictures are always nicely taken and I really like the way you point at the problem spot, thanks for taking the time for us.
There is one thing that I want to mention though, what happened to the nail polish? It was giving a nice contrast ;D.
I seriously do appreciate all that you do here George.
Later buddy. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

Sal, George does have the hand modeling thing goin on. George does know reels, the nail polish is the extra that sets it off.

"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

redsetta

Great thread lads.
Had the same problem meself recently.
Like George, I changed out the #6-875 washer for a Carbontex and all was well.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Dominick

George:  Don't let the uncouth nail biters get to you, tell them you don't wear nail polish, that you buff your nails instead.  ;)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

George4741

Ah, yes, the dainty hand with the nail polish.  The mysterious Georgia. ;) 
My wife got a kick out of all of your comments.  But then she was suddenly worried about how her hand looked in those photos. ::)  I had to go back and show her, put her at ease. :P

Later buddies,
George 
viurem lliures o morirem

George4741

Quote from: Cone on October 06, 2012, 09:37:54 PM
Augie, Sometimes Penn Parts makes a mistake. The last washer set I ordered only had one eared washer but i had a spare.

Ditto on the occasional mistake.  I was lucky, though, and Penn Parts sent me an extra keyed washer with the set I ordered.  Nice!

viurem lliures o morirem

Augie3000

George, thanks for sending me the Carbontex #12 washer.  I installed it last night under the main gear and it solved the problem of the handle resistance.  Everything is in good working order now!  Even better than new I think.  Thanks again to everyone for all the help. 

George4741

Quote from: Augie3000 on October 19, 2012, 01:59:16 PM
Even better than new I think.   

It IS better than new! ;)  And you were able to save your sideplate from the dreaded dremel. ;) ;D
viurem lliures o morirem