Drags for accurate 4:1 senator gears?

Started by Ron Jones, October 07, 2012, 12:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

So,
Santa came inside an old 113h that I've been messing with lately. Opened it up and low and behold a set of Accurate 4:1 gears were inside. This reel will now be tanked and quite possibly YTS'd, although I may just go with a half frame.

Anyways, was wondering if these gears will work for 5+1 or 7+1 carbontex drags? They are just a few thousands taller than a 113h gear, I'm not sure how deep the well is.

So, hoping someone can answer.

Thanks
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

No they won't! Go ahead and send them to me and I will send you the stock gears ;D.

Yes they will....good find ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

Does Dawn have a 7+1 set she sells or do I have to make one up?

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

I know Dawn has the washers, but I'm not sure if she sells them as kits.......George?
Be careful with the 1+7 , it hasn't been tested yet. The 7 washers will generate over 30lb of pressure, I would put them in my 6/0 and 9/0, but I wouldn't in my 4/0. That reel will be balanced nicely with 1+5 stack. Just my opinion.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

30 Pounds!!
I'm not planning on running 120+ line, so I'll stick with 5+1. The reel has a stainless spool, I'm not sore if I want to go aluminum.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Alto Mare

Ron, I have not installed the1+7 on any of my reels, just didn't get a chance, but I'm very excited about it, thanks to George. I will definitely be installing them in my 6/0's  and 9/0's. Over 30lb with the 1+7 on that 4/0 was speculation. I did test my Tank with the accurate gears as you have and the 1+5 configuration, I was able to push it to 25lb, adding two more drags I believe that it will go over 30lb. will it survive? that another story. Do as I did, push that reel to 20lb max and it will be your friend for a long time. You probably have the chromed brass spool, I've never seen a ss spool on the 113H. Depending on the type of fishing you do, that spool could be a good thing, especially if you use wire line.
Sal

saltydog

I just did the same ,I got a fleabay special 113h for 20 bucks shipping included and low and behold christmas came early a set a accurate gears too.Well I know I'm gonna tank this one out for sure,after I get done with the drag mods on my 112h.I'm with Sal though I wouldn't push it to that level it might not last too long.Then again I'm getting to where 30# is just too much drag.

William
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

George4741

Quote from: noyb72 on October 07, 2012, 12:47:33 AM
Does Dawn have a 7+1 set she sells or do I have to make one up?

Ron

I'm sure Dawn doesn't sell a 1+7 drag kit.  I assembled mine with her 0.5 mm thick #39 carbontex washers.  Then I used Penn's thin metal drag washer set and added an extra eared and keyed metal washer.  The holes in the #39 carbontex washers were too small, so I enlarged them with a dremel.  

I've never tested the drag on my 113H, but Alan says you generally get about 5 lb drag for every drag washer in the stack.  This theory holds up in at least some of my reels.  For example, I get 36 lb drag on my black 114 senator with a 1+7 drag and over 40 lb with my 114H.  Obviously, this is more than I should push these reels, but it was a test.

Ron and William, nice catch on the accurate gears.  
 George
viurem lliures o morirem

Ron Jones

No wirelining. I'm thinking this will be a big caster for topwater. Decisions decisions.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"