Albacore not fishing

Started by Keta, October 08, 2012, 03:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Drove to Garibaldi, Or on Friday to target jumpers but when we got there one of the best captains and a good friend told us he just burnt 200 gallons of $5.00+ gas for 1 albacore.  We decided we needed an unprepared for "plan B" so we picked up some expensive salmon gear (stuff we all have a lot of but we left it at home) and $9.00 a pack bait then trolled off the jaws for Chinooks.  We went 4 for 4 on the salmon with 3 being around 8 lbs and one close to 20lb.  When the bite slowed we made a 12 mile run west to a high spot for ling cod and rockfish.  We ended up with 6 lings, one just legal and the rest 12-25 pounds, 9 5lb yellowtail rockfish and one nice yelloweye we had to release.  I had something stop my retrieve about 200' above the bottom (and 200' down)  and after a few minutes whatever it was took the fish off my hooks and went away.  

Note to self, keep at least one bottom fish and one salmon rig with a small amount of gear in truck when heading to the coast.

My small ABU Alphmar 12 reel is not the best choice for deep water (only 350'-450' on this spot) bottom fishing but it worked, extremely slow retrieve for the first 2/3 of the spool.  I should have brought my 113HN Tank.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

Adapt and overcome.  It sounds like a rewarding trip.  Nice!
viurem lliures o morirem

Cone

Lee, It sounds like you turned a loser into a winner. Way to go. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

johndtuttle

Lemons into lemonade  ;D. Glad you found some good fishing.

best

Bryan Young

Good plan B.  Glad you got on fish!
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: johndtuttle on October 08, 2012, 07:26:02 PM
Lemons into lemonade  ;D. Glad you found some good fishing.

best
Good phrase John ;)!
Way to go Lee, you know better than to leave home without the Tank ::)....glad it turned out OK.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Keith K

Right on Lee!  Our trip on Friday was very similar...We made the run past the Farallons for Albies, but the warm water and fish had moved out.  We scratched out one.  What saved the day was rockfishing at the islands on the way back in.  Cool you got some pink meat to boot!