113 mtl review from jan z

Started by alantani, October 04, 2009, 01:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

To: alan tani <alantani@yahoo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 6:29:45 PM
Subject: RE: Penn 113 MTL

Ok here it is. This reel is a tank, side plates are solid metal, all parts are heavy duty and in my opinion this reel ought to last a person 25-50 years with reasonable care.  This thing is simple easy to get into and totally bullet proof.

There was a lot of grease in the reel out of the box, drags were dry and screws needed a greasing, all screws except the four holding the seat bracket on were Torx and well set, fit and finish were excellent for an off the shelf reel.

I think it will generate 25-30 pounds of drag with dry washers, even greased it's got more than my Baja Special.

You can access the drag stack by popping 4 screws, removing the handle and pulling the black cover.  I'd bet 10 minutes max to change out a drag stack.

Drags are monster eared HT 100's and ought to provide all the stopping power one would ever need for this class of reel.

One hell of a well built reel, I'd say not really designed for casting but you could do it,  chunk baiting tuna, hammering Pacific halibut or horsing trophy Lings out of the rocks this is the reel you want.  Live baiting big fish, trolling all well with in the abilities of this reel.

The only detractor is some people might find it heavier than they'd like but then what do you expect from an elephant gun.

This is a great reel and a bargain at $139 from Charkbait. I'd rate it a work horse and give it 4 out of five stars

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!