Size of Opening on 113 "wide" style side plate?

Started by johndtuttle, October 09, 2012, 01:55:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndtuttle

hey all,

wondering is some schmartie out there has a pair of Calipers and one of the older style 113H side plates that has the "large opening" where the handle exits the body and if they could tell me precisely how big the opening is?

Thanks for all replies.

best

redsetta

G'day John,
From memory, it's ~28mm.
I can confirm more precisely this evening after work, if it's still required.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

john2244

My old calipers and old eyes came up with

1 3/16" or approx 30mm.
John

johndtuttle

Thanks to you both. In continuing with my "Tank" build I am looking to see if a bearing is available to fit that instead of the stock sleeve (ie like a Baja Special that uses a bearing there).

As long as I have you gentleman's attention could you confirm the dimensions of the gear sleeve. I believe it should be ~1/2".

Thanks so much for taking the time.

best

Alto Mare

Lets keep adding dimentions, whoever comes up with the same numbers, that would be it ;D.
My numbers are: 28.70mm / 1.130 inch.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

john2244

johndtuttle

Thx so much for taking the time.

many thanks.

best regards

George4741

My sideplate opening is 1.150 inch.
The gear sleeve is .496 inch
viurem lliures o morirem

johndtuttle

Thx for that gentlemen.

I had a conversation with Alan a bit ago and he seemed to think Penn did have some tolerance variance as we are seeing. Seems as though having a "narrow" side plate milled out by a competent machinist might be the way to go. There are sealed bearings commonly available that are 0.500 x 1.125 x 0.312 that should be my next experiment in adding a bearing to support the handle once I line up the milling of the side plate.

best and thanks again.

Keta

You can bed a bearing in a loose fit using epoxy and a mold release.

BTW, Penn tolerances are large but that's one of the things that make them keep working.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

johndtuttle

Quote from: Keta on October 09, 2012, 03:00:56 PM
You can bed a bearing in a loose fit using epoxy and a mold release.

BTW, Penn tolerances are large but that's one of the things that make them keep working.

Thanks for that Keta, something to consider.

As a machinist do think there is any reason that a "narrow opening" side plate couldn't be easily milled out to that dimension (1.125")? It would have to be perfectly centered to accommodate the shaft and bearing and not throw things off.

Any interest in this little project? :)

best