Tutorial for Abu Ultra Mag and Ultra Mag XL 1

Started by Ferd, October 09, 2012, 06:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferd

Hi all. I have the schematics for these reels but I haven't figured out how to take them apart to clean them properly. More importantly, putting them back together. Anyone have step by step instructions for these reels? I have about 6 of them and they still work properly. Just would like to keep them that way. Thanks.

Ken_D

Good luck with that... those reels are close to 30 years old now, and the parts stream is beginning to dry up.
Whereas you have more than one, just make notes and take photos as you go very slowly in, on the first one, following the schematic that you will have printed off and placed beside the reel. Should something go awry on the first one, you can take the next one, and "reverse engineer" it, to wherever the first one was not right.

The tricks will be the baby springs hidden in the line carriage post both sides,  the line pawl removal, that activating rod from the white plastic gears,  and the size of some of the really small e-clips. If you are careful with the soft bristled paint brush, you can use a petro solvent, and brush away all the crud without totally dis-assembling here and there.

Should the drawing for the UM 1 be fuzzy, or using that series of numbers 975XXX, or some such, just open the UM 3 or the UM 2 drawing....all is the same except the spool size, as you will see.  I'd also change out the magnets to today's "rare earth" types.... much stronger and less prone to disintegration (sp).

Killerbug

Hi,

I get these reels in regularly,  I will make a tutorial next time i get one.
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time