loss of drag on SOM reel

Started by hafnor, October 12, 2012, 02:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hafnor

Hi, I have a studio ocean mark L50 reel that has lost it's drag... I have to turn the preset knob so far to get any. I also think that the spool is lying longer towards the left (away for the drag plate) than before... Have I lost a spool shaft shim here? something with the preset?

johndtuttle

You might have to wait for Alan to get back from his fishing trip and send him a PM with your question. He has had one open before and may have some insight for you.

best, John

Nessie Hunter

""—ALUMINUM DRAG DISC
This disc helps prevent your drag from heating up and malfuctioning.We have also sanded the face of these discs. Nice and smooth drag performance is our goal.
โ—HEAT RESISTANT CORK DRAG WASHERS""

Taking a wild guess here, but sounds like the drag has worn down, Aluminum plate and Cork washer??  Very likely...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

hafnor

naah... the washer is fine, you can not hear the spool clicker any more either... the drag plate isn't pressing as far in as it should... hmm. I may have lost something when I popped it open. I am going to try to find some shims today and see what we get. will report back

hafnor

I innstalled something the wrong way! it is all good now!

Nessie Hunter

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!