Daiwa 400h questions

Started by chris015, October 12, 2012, 08:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris015

Tagged the reel off ebay for cheap. They listed it as a unknown model from daiwa. I believe this is one of the oldschool daiwas. I THINK its the 400h. The side sticker is gone. Only way i think its a 400 is the line capacity. 30/460,40/350,50/280. If there is any ways other then that let me know. I pulled the gear side off and looked at it without tearing into it. Looks to be in good shape. reel feels smooth,clicker etc works great. There seems to be some brown looking oily grease inside. Not sure if what they used back in the day was brown or if its contaminated. Didnt see any salt etc. Id love to clean it but im a little hesitant. May just let a professional do it as ive always cleaned used open faced reels. Now,if i did decide to tear into this beast Do i need to lube the drag discs or not? What about grease/oil i can buy locally at walmart,academy sports etc?  I looked at the write up on here about the ht100 drag upgrade,but im leaving for the beach sunday and i dont have enough time to order it or "special grease" so im limited on what i can do. its going on a 30-80 class penn rod. Also,at the look at the line diameters etc posted on this reel,like 30lb is 0.55 isnt that a little xtreme?  So how much can i actually get on this reel?

lets break this down to help with my rambling :
1. do i have the 400h?
2. lube drag discs or not? if so,with what?
3. line capacity for the modern lines? just mono,i cant spent more then what i paid for the reel for line,300 yards is a plenty. lol
pic candy :

day0ne

If it shows 460yds of mono on the cross bar, it's a 400H

If you convert to carbontex drag washers, grease with Cal's drag grease. If using the stock washers, don't grease

The mono capacities are given on the crossbar should be correct. I think you will find that the .055 is in MM and not inches. .55 mm equals .0216 in, which is about right for 30 lb line. 30lb berkley Big Game is listed as .022 inches.

You mentioned it as an "old school Daiwa" and the silver frame does make it an older model, however it is basicly unchanged from the ones you can buy today. It's a great reel
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Bryan Young

Drag material should be changed to greased carbon fiber.  Unfortunately, due to life, I haven't gotten together with keta to make up sets for a 5+1 drags stack for this reel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D