PENN 750SS MODIFICATIONS!

Started by Alto Mare, October 13, 2012, 12:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Justin, I believe we've got our work cut out for us ;D. Check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD3mCkvozpg&feature=relmfu
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

rx7240sx

id like to send him my penn 4500ss

Cone

Your right Sal, you and Justin are going to have to step it up!  ;D  Seriously though he put a lot of work into that reel. He even made the eared washers  No double ss dogs and 12 tooth ratchet though. Thats a lot of stress on that gear train if the stock dogs fail, talk about a knuckle buster. I'm impressed but you can do better. How about eared carbon fibers with eared metals. If you design it right you may even find stock keyed washers that will work and the eared carbons will be easier to cut. You'd get more drag with less washers. I'll be waiting for your next post with the prototype finished. Sometime next week?  ;D  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

LTM

Guys,

For those not familiar with the SS series a couple of questions. Does the ss normally have bearings in the spool and whats the purpose of bearings in the spool. Ive a Daiwa spinner with 2 bearings in the spool and a large plate similar to the one the guy machined in the video. I just thought it was an old design, please explain.

Seems to be a talented and resourseful chap, anyone from here try to contact him and share some thoughts and maybe welcome him to the forum here?

Leo

Jaredbolen

That's pretty amazing craftsmanship.

redsetta

Great work indeed - thanks for the post Sal.
I'd be disinclined to add those spool bearings, but can fully appreciate why he's done so.
Sure is some quality craftmanship - and raises the bar substantially ;)
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

conchydong

Somewhere I read that before Stellas and Saltigas were introduced that the  Japanese jiggers modified the Penn SS's for their high performance jigging reels. Some of the Japanese webites still offer some aftermarket spools and various parts for the classic Penn SS Series. Here is a link for one. You have to scroll through it.   http://www.gaar.co.jp/custom/custom.htm#for_penn    Lots of $$$ for some of that stuff though.

Cone

LTM, the penn ss series do not have bearings in the spool. I believe the reason for the bearings is to keep the spool from tilting under high drag pressures. If you look at the drawing at about 2:01 you will see that the aluminum piece on the new shaft holds a large drag washer under the spool and the inner races of the bearings ride on the center portion. I'm sure he is able to get more drag but I still believe the stock dogs snd ratchet are the weak link. If they fail all that force would be transfered to the gears and to the handle. If you held the handle and kept it from moving something will have to give. Either the threaded portion of the pivot will strip or break or the gears will strip. JMO Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

Bryan Young

I think the rachet and dogs are plenty strong. I'm more worried about the gears under pressure.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

George4741

I am also puzzled as to how some of these spinners can withstand horrendous drag pressures without failing.  Specifically, why the spool shaft or reel foot don't bend.  Or, do they????
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

I believe he made that reel weaker, that was a lot of material he removed from that spool. He also downsized  the main shat and that's a no no in my book :-\.
I see what he was trying to do, but I don't believe its worth it on the 750. The 9500 would be a good candidate, but I would just do one bearing at the bottom.  If I get a chance I'll try to kill one of my 9500 spools  ;D and give it a shot.
Leo, as Bob mentioned, it's all about friction. The bearings will help keep things smooth when a nice size fish is taking line. bottom line, It helps with drags and alignment. I do think it's overkill on this one though.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

George, we were typing at the same time ;D.
Yes the spool shaft does bend at times and yes the foot does snap on a big fish at times also. All and all these are nice reels, but need to be fished within reasons. I heard of guys targeting 200lb fish with the 9500 :-\, A 100lb fish should not be a problem with the 9500, but a 200 lb fish might be a little much.
Most of the times the crosswind gear wears out before anything else, this might be a sacrificial gear on these reels, but I'm not 100% on it. I like all of my SS, I've been using them for a long time and they never failed me.
Sal

Cone

Bryan, if you think about the way the ss series works. The rotor is attached to the pinion bearing with the ratchet atatched to the rotor. when the dogs are engaged they prevent the rotor from going backwards. The pressure is applied to the ratchet and dogs instead of the pinion. When they fail the rotor turns the pinion which turns the main and crosswind gears. As long as the dogs hold the force is not transfered to the gears. I guess if you kept trying to turn the handle and reel that would be a different story. Reeling while the fish is taking line has always been a no no for spinners because of the line twist it causes. High drags and the backplay with the brass dogs and ratchet can damage the soft brass dogs. The gear train would be vulnerable when trying to recover line on a fish not taking line at high drag settings. Using the rod to pump the fish and recover line as the rod is dropped would take some stress off the gearing. I still believe these are great reels but they were never designed for this abuse and whatever the cause its asking for trouble. JMO Bob

Bryan Young

mechanically speaking, you'll be amazed how strong the rachet and dogs are.  They may get a bit damaged and may need replacing after a trips, but the ability to sheer solid metal takes more force than you think.  That is all that I was saying.

Gears take a lot of stress when trying to gain line.  The shreading of gears are a lot easier sheering the dog or rachet.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

johndtuttle

Quote from: LTM on October 13, 2012, 04:57:52 PM
Guys,

For those not familiar with the SS series a couple of questions. Does the ss normally have bearings in the spool and whats the purpose of bearings in the spool. Ive a Daiwa spinner with 2 bearings in the spool and a large plate similar to the one the guy machined in the video. I just thought it was an old design, please explain.

Seems to be a talented and resourseful chap, anyone from here try to contact him and share some thoughts and maybe welcome him to the forum here?

Leo

Hey Leo,

The SS series did not originally have spool bearings but it was famously the source for Asian modders as it was a worthy and sturdy platform long before many others. Spool bearings are to reduce binding under heavy load as the shaft flexes some regardless of material due to it's length. Pretty much all of the high end reels above say, a Sustain FG have them so that their drags are smoother at the higher end of their range.

best