Help needed dawn!

Started by hafnor, October 13, 2012, 02:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hafnor

heck, that might work Basto! I could lay two on top of each other... it would give me alot more drag when the preset knob is all the way back but it might work... If it doesn´t can you grind the underneath washer a little bit down with sandpaper/file or a fine grinding stone?

On another note.... how hard is it to cut CF 1mm thick if I were to buy a sheet? do I need a special pair of scissors? regular scissors, dremel (dangerous particals there maybe?)

redsetta

G'day Thor,
I cut 1mm CF sheet all the time - easy as...
I use my wife's dressmaking scissors as they're super sharp and have enough weight to be easily controlled.
I mark out the shape (ID/OD) with a white colouring pencil and cut to the outside of the line.
I punch the ID.
Once I've cut the shape, I refine and adjust the OD with a bench grinder.
I usually fasten the metal drag plate to the CF as a template during this part of the process.
I went through the process on my Ventura (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3463.0) and trialled doubling the washer, as was suggested.
It worked fine, but I found shimming the spool worked better in the end.
If you're after 0.5mm or 1mm, they're available through http://www.downriggershop.com.au/carbontex-drag-washers.html, or I can order some and post it up (I'm about to make an order)...
The 0.5mm sheets aren't listed on the site yet, but are available.
Hope that's of some assistance.
Cheers, Justin
PS I get really itchy if the CF dust settles on my skin, so am careful to avoid contact with it.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

hafnor

thank you for the respons Justin! that is great news... now the washer is quite thick and a guy from NZ (fishing.net.nz) said this about the reel:

"Also fwiw, I happen to know that the coefficient of friction for cork is much higher than for carbon fiber. That is to say, more drag with less pressure on the drag system."

If this is true (???) maybe I ought to make two 1mm cf washers stacked and not one 1mm, and another 0,5mm? maybe I could buy three sheets from you mate, two on 1mm and one on 0,5 and test... Easiest would be sheets at 60x60mm. I have a scissor made for leather (my mothers) it seems pretty heavy and solid and I think that might work.

What are you thinking here?

hafnor

Only consern is that if the cork washer is 1,8mm approx. that means that you can not fit two 1mm cf washers on top of each other because the retainer wire on the spool has a very tight fit...

Keta

Can thinner metal washers be cut and more put into the drag stack?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

hafnor

I guess you could but Where can I get this

Keta

If I had a stock metal washer/washers and some dimentions I can have them cut for a fair price.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Irish Jigger

Could you grind the 1mm CF sheet down to 0.865mm  thick and fit two?
You are only removing 0.135mm (5 thousandths of an inch.)
First check the actual thickness using a Vernier as it may not be exactly 1mm.

Alto Mare

You've got something there Tom, but Thor would need to glue them together when he gets the proper thickness, or the washers would shred. :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

hafnor

that could work Tom! but I may need some help with this!?

@altomare: the spool has "ears" so as long as the washer and the cf disk has ears I don't see a problem...? 

hafnor

but easiest way would be to buy two 1mm sheets of cf and cut it then stack them on top of each other. If the cork gives more friction in force than cf (which I am uncertain of, than maybe two 1mm cf washers stacked on top could work  although maybe I have to grind down the ears just a tiny bit to accomodate the retainer wire...?

redsetta

I'll order two extra 1mm sheets on Monday.
They'll take a few days to arrive here, so there's plenty of time to consider your options.
If you decide on a different solution, no worries - I'll use 'em...
Tis a fun process figuring out this kind of thing ;)
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

basto

Good luck Hafnor. You are a pioneer. Just like Clem.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

hafnor

That would have been great Justin, I'l send you a pm soon!

Irish Jigger

Good Luck Thor, you are indeed a pioneer. I take my hat off to you for trying to improve the drag on a brand  new $1350 reel having only fished it once. I would imagine Studio Ocean will be very interested  considering they use CF on their latest models.