Help needed dawn!

Started by hafnor, October 13, 2012, 02:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hafnor

funny you would say that!, actually spoke with their products manager takashi otsuka and all he said that the reel was intended to be used with cork and that SOM could not supply CF washer or ss or titanium drag plate!

alantani

i have no idea why someone would want cork......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Irish Jigger

Had a Velocette motor bike with  steel clutch plate having cork inserts. It ran "wet" in oil and never had issues.
It may work quite well in a fishing reel if lubricated with Cals grease as it has a high coefficient of friction.
Having said that I wonder why SOM have CF drags on their latest models. :-\

hafnor

I think there are pros and cons on this setup. The alu drag platec makes it extremely light (whole reel) and when dry or lubed with cal's it is so buttery smooth, no startup interia or lag whatsoever! however the bad sides of this is water intrusion! cf washers are more reliable and demands much less maintenance! I actually believe that in this case a spool shield would have helped, unfourtanetly it's open. Cork is old school and does not work well for contiunes 10hour fishing days over several days, unless it dries completely. However takashi otsuka reccomended studio ocean mark teflon drag grease hard type for the washer... This may solve the problem. but the price for one tiny bottle of grease is 30usd excluded shipping... and the question I have asked my self is how much better will it be...

Dawn

Probably too late, but I have CF that would run about .92mm.  CF thickness is all over the place, so I would usually be able to find something that would be close to whatever is needed.
If the place in Australia is getting carbon fiber where I am, chances are it will run under 1 mm.

Dawn
Dawn

day0ne

There is aguy on ebay that sells sheets of carbon fiber. He sells under the name "cfdrag". I know he has .90mm sheets. I used one of his .120mm sheets to cut a washer for a Shimano TTS30.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

hafnor

Thanks for all the help guys, but Justin has sorted me out with a 1 mm sheet, I will try to double stack it and maybe grind down the ears just 0,2mm to make sure the retainer is kept in place, Still waiting for the new drag plate too, will keep you posted on the project