Shimano Charter Special, returning to standard/stock drag issue.

Started by CaptKev, October 13, 2012, 03:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptKev

So my Alantani modded (drag, 4/0 handle, TLD bellevilles) ch specs have served me well this year. After a busy 4 month charter season of chasing albacore and deepwater ling cods, they are showing some wear. 2 of the 7 are coffee grinders and the main and pinion gears are getting loose on the rest. I've been using braid and the majority for trolling. After hundreds of larger fish, it was time to freshen the up so to speak. I bought new mains and pinions which solved the grinders, but I can't seem to return the hot rodded drag back to stock? I've bought TLD stars 20/40 to replace these reels and returning these to salmon reels. I don't need the higher #'s for drag and certainly not 15#

I reinstalled the stock bellevilles and washer per the schematic, but bottoming out the preset knob barely engages the spool at strike. I played with the preload washers in various configuration with dismal results. I compared the well used carbontex washer with the OEM canvas one...the CBTX washer is about 1/2 the thickness. Do these CBTX compress over time? I've only played with the 2 grinder reels, but I'm guessing the CBTX washer is suspect? When I tighten the preset way down, there a load resistance in the reel when cranking. It's smooth with brand new gears, but it's not right.

Hmm, wonder if take another used CBTX washer and double them up. Maybe...?

Any other suggestions?

saltydog

Replace the old drag washers with new ones they are probably wore out.I replace mine after fishing them really hard.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

CaptKev

Maybe I'm the eternal optimist, but shouldn't the drag washer last longer than one season?

I (guests) have fished them pretty darn hard so it's possible. Nothing like looking down from the flybridge, at the reel, seeing it set at strike, watching Mr. Albie whack it all at 7 knots. One of 2 things happened "SNAP!"or the rod becomes instantly corked. Some people just couldn't get with the program, hence the reason I'm going with star drags, straight mono & easier on the drags. After awhile, it's tough not to become Captain Bligh....arrrggghh!

Guess I'll order some more or send one to the guru Alan himself???

saltydog

When I used to target big sharks in the Floridia keys we could burn up a set on just one fish in the right circumstance thats why I always carry extras when I go fishing.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

alantani

there are thinner bellevilles AND flat thrust washers that go in the stack.  add a washer or two to the stack and it might solve your problem.  your drags are fine.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CaptKev

Havent had a chance to play with the reels yet, but I noticed the thin (B's?) thrust washers the were used with the TLDs bellevilles are really thin. Maybe with the higher drag pressures, these actually wore thin? I'm anxious to tear into these reels, not because I'm fishing, just bcuz I like fixing things!

Today at the toy store, I fondled a 20/40 TLD star drag reel that are replacing these ch sp's. Not much bigger in size, but feel beefier overall. Dawn still on holiday?

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!