Penn 114 accessible drag drag washer order?

Started by MegHunter, October 14, 2012, 09:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MegHunter

Hi I'm new to this site and just picked up an old black 6/0 with post for 20 bucks and bought lube and grease and took it apart and cleaned it and when putting it back together I wasn't sure of the drag washer order also thought about getting a new set of drag washers and was curious how high the drag would run after replacing them thanks in advance

redsetta

G'day and welcome MH,
Sal's photo below should help.
Thread here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=5506.msg44892#msg44892
It should generate a functional max of around 20#.
If it's already got CF washers, just grease 'em and you're done.
CF (ie Carbontex or HT-100s) won't necessarily increase your drag, but will make it significantly smoother and more predictable.
Hope that's of some assistance.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

MegHunter

Mine only has like 8 washers but i have them essentially in the same order as the photo and it seems to work right thanks for the help.

Bryan Young

Welcome MegHunter. Glad you got it working. Seems odd that you have 8 washers. Usually it's an odd number.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

MegHunter

I guess its 7 or 9 then? I didnt have the reel apart at the time I posted that and kinda guessed  :P. I may have them stacked wrong, so my first two washers after the felt washer part should both be keyed metal ones?

redsetta

G'day MH,
The order should be carbon fibre (or CF for short), keyed, CF, eared, CF, keyed, CF, eared, CF, ending on the last keyed metal washer.
Then a bellevilled or curved metal washer, then the collar etc.
This is referred to as a '5+1' configuration, as we generally place another CF washer beneath the main gear.
Let us know how you get on...
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer