Discover Angling - October 11, 2012

Started by Bryan Young, October 15, 2012, 06:31:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

I was lucky to join Discovering Angling's Rock Cod fishing trip for a group of at risk kids from Homestead High School on the Huli Cat with Captain Tom Mattusch and deckhand Jake out of Half Moon Bay, California.  The weather was lake like conditions and the fishing was AWESOME with 248 fish for 34 on board.  Before you think that the boat didn't do very well (not limited or each person on board, including the captain and deckhand), you will see that there were more than 50% of the kids asleep in the cabin, so everyone else had to pick up the slack so each kid could take a bag of fish home.  We also had a special guest...Captain Guy (Jonathan's boss and captain of the New Gravy, also out of Half Mood Bay).  Captain Tom put us on fish time after time and we loaded the boat.  Captain Guy then took over and shared Captain Tom his numbers and put on more fish, with some of the best blacks and blue rock fish that I have seen in years.  We got back to the dock about 2:30 PM after leaving the dock about 7:30 AM. There were kids on-board that could not keep the fish off their lines. It was tough to choose a winner for the most fish and the largest. The mentors that volunteered were an exceptional group.  Volunteers, including myself, were John Kopernik, Bennie Dimas, Roger Shu, Bill Graham, Jon Schatmeier, and Richard Kent(Board Member). These volunteers represent many of the Bay Area fishing clubs and are some of the finest recreational fisherman in the area.  It was definitely fun working with these guys and a priviledge to be among two of the great captains out of Half Moon Bay.  If you every want to give Rock Cod fishing, Salmon Fishing, Crabbing, and even Albacore fishing a try on a party boat, I would highly recommend the Huli Cat and the New Gravy.

My best for the day is

Lastly, big shouts oesout to Alan and everyone sho has donated money, reels, rods, tackle, line,...for this great cause.  If it want for all of you, this opportunity would have never been available for the youths of tomorrow.  THANK YOU!!!
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Note that all protected fish posed for the photo op and then lowered with a device that takes the fish down to the bottom, held there for a minute or two, then released.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

That last photo's a cracker - well done Bryan ;)
Looks like a great day had by all.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

saltydog

Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Alto Mare

Nice to introduce those guys and gals to fishing, great program. I see lots of happy campers on that boat. Justin is right, that last picture is a cracker. You're a natural Bryan, it belongs on a fishing magazine ;).
Thanks for sharing, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

All smiles on that boat! Nice job, Bry.  I love watching the youth get hooked on "our thing."
I know it kept me out of a ton of trouble ;)
Dom

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Much kudos goes out to everyone on the sides an rear of the boat. All the kids left the bow due to the ups and downs and left the mentors behind. They were so determined to do it themselves (competition with the kids), I got to fish, probably more than anyone else. I couldn't even pass my rod to someone else. It had to be their rod. Then Roger and John along with Jake cleaned all 248 fish. If it wasn't for them, they would all be eatin fish Chinese style (whole). :)

I just added my shameless plug. Credit really goes to the volunteers, Jake, Capt. Tom and Capt. Guy. They worked really hard for the kids. I got to play and fish with the mentors.

rshu

We had a great day out there, I am glad I could be a part of it. Those kids are amazing, especially one fishing next to me that kept catching fish after fish, baiting hooks and taking fish off all by herself. and it was her first time fishing!!

and thank you bryan for catching all the big ones...that was one fat vermillion!

sincerely,

roger

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!