Saltiga sa50 and carbontex help

Started by njpete, October 17, 2012, 12:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

njpete

The people at smoothdrag are on vacation this week so I need some help. I replaced the drag washers on my Saltiga sa50 with carbontex washers. I lubricated them with cal's grease wiped the excess grease off and installed them. Now the reel isn't putting out as much drag as it was with the standard drag washers that came with the reel. I was getting 22lbs max drag with the old drag washers, now I'm only getting about 17-18lbs. The drag has to be cranked all the way down for me to get 18lbs with the carbontex opposed to three quarters of the way down with the older washers. Is there any way to get the drag back up to 22lbs or more with the carbontex washers?

redsetta

G'day nj,
Is there any chance the drag clicker (pictured below) was replaced upside down?
This can limit drag pressure as it contacts the side plate and prevents full down-force of the star.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

njpete

redsetta-Thanks for posting. It was put back on exactly the way it is in the picture.

Nessie Hunter

Process of elimination when trouble shooting...

First you should Gain 10% to as much as 20% with new Carbontex drag stack??
So:

Schematic;
http://www.daiwa.com/PartsDiagram/PartsDiagram/SA30TN-40N-50N.pdf

Note ~ Under washer Part #34.  Goes under main gear..  Make sure its in place.
Parts #36 cluster or full drag stack.   

Note ~ configuration of Metal Washers, some Keyed (inside Diameter is cut to fit main shaft & not turn on shaft)  Some are Eared, with larger inside opening, these turn with main gear - not the shaft.. 
Make sure they are in correct order..
Also that "ears" are correctly fitted into slots for them & Slots are clear of obstructions, nicks or dings etc (ears must be able to move up & down freely)..

I would also use Micrometer on the full stack & compare to old stack for depth or thickness.

Sometimes the Carbontex washer are slightly thinner then stock..??
(often this is the Under washer or just a few microns on the other washers that add up)...
In this case you may have to add a metal washer somewhere in the stack below the Star..
Just a thin washer under the Star is the easiest to do..
Then retest & add or subtract washers as needed to get full drag pressure....

Keep us posted....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

CapeFish

Any chance you had a newer model Daiwa that comes standard with carbon fibre washers?

njpete

The drag in the reel wasn't carbon fiber. The reel was purchased new about 6 years ago.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

njpete

The drag bottoms out (tightened all the way down) and its 18lbs. The last two clicks of the drag is when it really starts to get tight.

hafnor

I have experienced the same thing on my sa20 when I bought cf washers from ebay. I added a small shim in the middle of the bellevilles and it got sorted. The cf washers may be a tiny bit too thin

njpete

If I add another small washer between the collar(part 40 on the schematic) and the key washer( part 39), will that solve the problem?

hafnor

Quote from: njpete on October 20, 2012, 02:44:02 PM
If I add another small washer between the collar(part 40 on the schematic) and the key washer( part 39), will that solve the problem?

Yes that will also solve the matter, only the metal shim is cheaper and might be more available

alantani

if it's an 8mm diameter shaft, i have a bunch of washers.  can you measure it?  it's either 8 or 10mm.

njpete

alantani

send me a pm with your address and i will mail some washers out to you.