Calcutta 400 TE Clutch Bar Question

Started by Consigliere, October 17, 2012, 02:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consigliere

When I give my 400TE a good upward shake (like a cast) without keeping my thumb down on the clutch bar, the clutch bar will pop back up and then jam the reel.  Obviously if I hold my thumb down on the clutch bar it will stay down but sometimes I get sloppy and don't want to break the reel.

I have the reel open for inspection and I don't see any major issues with any of the parts but the retractor spring may be a bit bent, would this  be possible cause?  Any other thoughts on what could be the culprit?

Killerbug

A powerhandle will definitely cause that on the 400TE?
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

Consigliere

Power handle...never would've thought of that.  I do have one on there and love it for reeling vs the paddle handle, not sure I wuold switch back.

Any ways to overcome this issue or is it just too much mass and inertia because of the bigger handle?

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: Consigliere on October 17, 2012, 06:45:31 PM
Power handle...never would've thought of that.  I do have one on there and love it for reeling vs the paddle handle, not sure I wuold switch back.

Any ways to overcome this issue or is it just too much mass and inertia because of the bigger handle?

Good call Killerbug ....

You can try to balance the handle by adding weight to other end, But sure doesnt make them look very good...
The power handle on any of the Thumb Bar Casting reels create problems, I have taken all mine off and gone back to paddle handles on them....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

REK

Quote from: Consigliere on October 17, 2012, 06:45:31 PM

Large part of the handle(knob) has to be in the down position when casting.