Any Info About an Old Reel?

Started by lawaia, October 18, 2012, 03:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawaia

When a relative passed away I was given an old reel that he had and I'm just wondering if any of you experts on this site might know anything beyond the obvious about this reel, such as when it was made, its line capacity, drag specs, and such.  I don't intend to ever use it, probably just keep it as an heirloom but am just curious to know more about it.  From the pics below, it's apparently an "X-Pert-80" model made by Pflueger but beyond that I know nothing about it.  Any thoughts?

There are no markings on the reel except for the right side plate which has a disk as shown in the 1st pic.  The disk is stamped "Patented", "Made in U.S.A.", "X-Pert-80", and "311-558".

Note the nifty leather thingy, in the 3rd pic, which I presume was meant to either help in thumbing the reel during casting (without burning your thumb) or to add additional drag?  Its purpose is one of the questions perhaps you experts can answer.  The underside of the leather thingy is stamped "Pflueger" with a bulldog image and that's the only indication that the reel was made by Pflueger.

Mahalo for any info,
lawaia

Bryan Young

Wow, that reel is in great shape. It's an ocean city and I believe that it has drag washers the same as squidders.

I would not fish it if its in great shape.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Robert Janssen

Quote"X-Pert-80" model made by Pflueger

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 18, 2012, 04:44:05 AM
Wow, that reel is in great shape. It's an ocean city...

?

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 18, 2012, 04:44:05 AM
Wow, that reel is in great shape. It's an ocean city and I believe that it has drag washers the same as squidders.

I would not fish it if its in great shape.
X2
Definitely an O.C. reel....don't know about the drags, never opened one.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

saltydog

That is an Ocean City for sure and the leather thingy is for casting control and to put a little extra pressure on a fish by thumbing the spool.It's really a throwback to the days of the nucklebusters of old where that leather thingy was your drag and the reel handle spun when the fish took line out.Hope it helps a little,and x2 on keep it in a collection and original it's a nice piece.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

redsetta

G'day lawaia,
The lads have you on the right track.
I worked on one recently, but it was subsequently damaged while being respooled at the local shop.
The three-piece spool doesn't like too much pressure and a tight spooling with mono can spread it, as happened here:http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=5387.0
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

lawaia

Wow, thanks for the info, Guys!  There seems no doubt that the reel was made by Ocean City but I'm still left wondering  ??? how come the disk on the right side plate doesn't proclaim it to be an Ocean City model and how come the leather thingy clearly is a Pflueger item (which led me to think originally that the reel was a Pflueger).

Do you guys know if Ocean City made those reels for someone else, e.g. Sears, Roebuck, & Co. (which might explain the disk)?  And is it likely that Ocean City would've subcontracted the thumb assist leather thingy to Pflueger?

Just got my curiosity really piqued.  And no worries about me fishing it; I don't expect it would stand up to a tuna so it'll just be a keepsake heirloom.

Robert Janssen

Exactly. Which is what i meant by the question mark. I was hoping someone would be able to clarify the relationship between Pflueger, who obviously were fully capable of making their own reels, like the Atlapac, and Ocean City, who yes indeed made reels rebranded for Sears among others. This prior to True Temper entering the picture.
Further, these are not to be confused with the other X-pert reels which were made by Bronson, another huge OEM of the time.

Just wondering if any reel historians care to clarify that.

Pic from online auction. See bottom line of included maintenance sheet.

OldSchool

Interesting. The reel is strictly not an Ocean City judging by the box and no Ocean City name. The maker I'm unsure however it was made for and distributed by Sears,Rosebuck & Co, chances are its probably the same as an ocean city 250. I'm guesstimating at the time Pflueger would have offered the thumb drag as an option for there reels and someone perhaps thought it was a good idea and bought it for this reel, I have seen a few included in boxes and they seem to be of a universal sizing. This reel will take 250 yards...lol...of what diameter or strength no idea? 

lawaia

Below is a photo of the box and sleeve the reel came in.  It offers no additional info, at least to my novice eye, regarding the maker of the reel but it does give the line capacity as 300 yards without specifying the size of line.  I'm inclined to agree with OldSchool that the reel was made for Sears since back when this reel was likely bought we did have a Sears out here but no other big name sporting goods stores, just mom and pop fishing supply stores and I'd think that whatever they might've brought in would be manufacturer branded.

It's still unclear to me how a Pfleuger thumb drag ended up on this Ocean City reel unless it was a feature Sears had specified be put on reels to be sold by them.

Lots of good info in this thread; thanks folks!

OldSchool

I will say this much, its 1930's ish, scarce and with a box like that everything considered your sitting on a little gem. Definitely worth a few bucks.