Calcutta "D" series reels

Started by albiemanmike, October 19, 2012, 03:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

albiemanmike

Alan,
         I am wondering if you have a chance to get your hands on one of these new models? I am looking to replace a 401TE that I lost and they no longer make that reel and it was my favorite of all my reels. The initial reviews I have found of the reels is pretty negative and you are the defacto master when it comes to things like this and i value your input before I plunk down the moolah they want for one of these. If they are as crappy as i am hearing then i will have to look and see if anyone online still has some of the old stock left of the 401TE model which I would rather have anyway. Thanks for your input.

alantani

it's getting harder for me to keep up with new stuff.  i only get to crack open reels that i service, and i haven't had any of these cross the bench.  i like the te series alot, though.  if it worked before, i'd stick with it.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Killerbug

http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

Jayce

I got to play with the calcutta d but its the JDM (Japan) model not the US.

Base on the reviews the Japan one has the easy access side plate for the brakes but the US does not have it.

The gear box is similar to the old calcutta models where you remove the handle side to access/remove the spool.
You can see the initial review of it in tackletour site.

Get the conquests if you like the Calcutta TE line

Killerbug

Just got a Calcutta 400D yesterday, fantastic reel.  Haven't fish it yet but it's build like a tank, can't wait to give it a go. 

Much more clever design than the TE  ;)
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

j28

Ive been fishing the calcutta D side by side with my TE  for a few days and to be honest the TE looks nicer but the Im Liking the D. There is a noticeable difference in cranking power during the retrieve. Casting on the D is as good as the TE. Its in my opinion a solid reel. The redesigned drag is in my opinion is easier to use and smoother. I just wish it had the easy access side plate. That extra cranking power is nice when you get one in close.

Zinox

I used my D reel quite a bit now, and i love it, It cast like a dream.

In my opinion theres no need for the "easy " axes på the centrifugal brake system, i always set it to 3on/3off and control the rest with my thumb, in that way i have no problem casting the 3/4oz and up to the 10oz lures we use for pike fishing here in Denmark.

j28

Yeah I agree but its nice to show to the crowd. Its like having lambo doors on your car ;D "Ooh Nice'"