shimano stradic 4000 fh

Started by rx7240sx, October 20, 2012, 09:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rx7240sx

so my brother drop off this stradic fh 4000  that he found setting in a boat he just picked and ask if i could fix it has been outside for two years. took it all apart and  got it working like new    but the friction ring is smoked just small parts left of it. so what does a friction ring do and do i need it? if so were could i find parts for it

Cone

The friction ring is what keeps the bail from spinning and closing when casting. You probably will have to get it from Shimano.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

bullfinch

i wanted to replace a friction ring on my friends fh 4000, felindre servicing centre swansea' told me not to bother putting it back in. i thought this was a bit of an odd answer to get from a shimano service centre ?

Irish Jigger

Felindre are full of surprises at times ;D They once told me to order my Shimano spares from the US where I purchased the reel. :-[

johndtuttle

If you don't fish very heavy lures it may not be a big deal. If the bail closes when casting a heavy one...bye-bye lure. :P

If you can get one, I would add it to your reel.

best

rx7240sx

ok next question the line roller bearing is shot but is stuck on there well just the innner race any ideas on how to get off

johndtuttle

Quote from: rx7240sx on October 21, 2012, 12:46:11 PM
ok next question the line roller bearing is shot but is stuck on there well just the innner race any ideas on how to get off

Soak it in your favorite corrosion remover (vinegar, WD-40, etc). Bear in mind that you will also strip the lube from the bearing (it is likely ruined regardless) and to get it to function, small as it is, you would have to pull the shields and repack it. Probably not worth the trouble to rebuild it, you should replace it.