carbon fiber drag for spinners

Started by seaeagle2, October 20, 2012, 09:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seaeagle2

I have a silstar and quantum reel that I want to convert to carbon fiber drags, Smooooth drag has some washers that are close, but the inside holes are a few mm larger, I'm hoping that won't be a problem.
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

rx7240sx

what size quantum asking bc i have two quantum blu and the drags are carbon fiber i found this when serviced the reels but there  not advertised  as have carbon fiber drags

seaeagle2

It's a XR60F, it's a few years old, and I already checked, they are a white plastic stuff, possibly teflon or something like that.
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Cone

If the hole for the sppol shaft is a little larger it should be fine. I have a few reels that I modified cf washers to fit. Measure your reels drag washers, ID, OD and thickness. Check smoothdrags demensions on their web site. find the closest size and either drill out the ID, grind the OD and/or both to fit. Don't inhale the dust! You can do the same thing with the less exspensive Penn draag washers. If they are a little off it won't matter. HTH  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Westii

I have an older Silstar spinning reel and I recently replaced the oiled felt washers with carbon fiber.  Dawn helped me find some washers that were close in dimensions and I modified them to fit.  I had to drill out the center holes to make them a little larger, but it was very easy to do.