Anti reverse replacement

Started by trickytune, October 21, 2012, 07:45:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trickytune

Hi I have an almost brand new accurate boss 870 4.6:1 6 bearing reel I bought 2nd hand.
It is in as new condition apart from a rusty anti reverse I have tried cleaning as per alans suggestions but
it slips at 5kg drag. I am happy fishing it at around that just would like to replace the bearing.
it had 16mm od and is hex shaped like a nut.
Is there any replacement bearing I can make fit or should I look at fitting a dog from another reel.
Im not interested in the jm mod its too expensive for a reel this old.
I have pulled the anti reverse apart and think I can replace the rollers but its fiddly and not sure on success.
Any useful input would be great thanks.
Quite keen on replacing the bearing and fitting a dog??

Ta

alantani

jim nomura put something together.  standby...... 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

i sent him a pm.  hopefully he can post what he did soon.  he made a modification to a metric (shimano/daiwa) AR bearing that worked. 

trickytune

Sweet. I'm going to try and make a backup pawl as well.
The right side bearing tightens up pretty early (about 4 kg) maybe its shot as well.

alantani

the right main side plate bearings always go out first.  check it, because it's probably bad. 

for the AR bearing, i think he just took a regular bearing and ground it down.

JGB

Sorry for the delay. Had to take a couple of pics to help explain what to do to build a replacement AR.
The replacement part cost around $15 plus your time. A deal considering how much Accurate AR bearing cost ($50)
if you could get this one.

The first pic shows:
Left - Original AR for the old style accurate BOSS  10mm X 15.75mm X 7.5mm
Middle shows the Metric AR used in the Calcutta's (As best I can recall) 10mm X 16mm hex X 8mm
Right is the Calcutta AR sleeve.

The second pic shows how you tie the two AR's together by sliding the sleeve half way into each of the AR's.
This is important to allow accurate grinding.

The third pic is showing how the coupled AR's are places on a disk sander with the table set at 90 degrees.

Here is what I did:

Get the proper sized AR with sleeve and couple the 2 AR's together.
Stuff the insides with some cotton to keep grinding particles out of the bearings.
Set up a disk sander with the table set at 90 degrees.
Keeping the faces of the AR's lined up sand the new AR on each face just until the old AR shows it is bearly touching the sanding disk.  The old AR serves as your template.
Try fitting the AR into the side plate. Do not push it in yet (you will not be able to remove it without damaging it).
It should go in with some friction (a snug fit). If it is too tight sand slightly more.

when it is sized for a light press fit clean it off and grease the outside of the AR and the inside of the side plate.
Orient it so the AR rotation is correct and press it in. It should just be flush when seated all the way in (the bore is .5mm deeper than the original AR - how convenient). The new AR is also rust resistant where the original is not.

You are ready to go :D

It is important to have a snug fit as the side plate will offer additional support while under load. Since we removed some of the material we have weakened the case a bit. The good news is this bearing has a very thick outer shell.

Removal of this bearing requires that you push it out and since we used the .5mm space we have to push the plastic carrier and it will distort or pop out and then you can push on the inner lip if the case.

good luck,
Jim N.

Irish Jigger

trickytune

Sweet will try to pick one up in Cairns next week. Shame I wont be able to take it to the reef.
Will post results when done.

trickytune

Well I managed to get a shimano bearing while on holiday. I used my HX Avet on the Barrier Reef and yes it works mint
but I would have preferred the smaller size of the accurate.
Today I managed to get the bearing into the housing and it holds sweet to over 10kg where my mono broke.
Drag is super smooth and the spool bearings feel good under this load.
So issue one solved thanks. Cost was $30 not sure what the bearing was for.

Now for the side load issue. I cleaned the right side bearing and greased it and it feels pretty good.
I will be ordering one soon I just wanted to confirm the AR bearing problem was solved first.
So as soon as you adjust the drag lever which loads the drag washers the reel gets noisy and cranks horrible.
The higher the load the worse it gets. Sounds like it comes from the left side bearing which also feels ok.
Do spool bearings have any effect? I guess I don't need spool sleeve as I never cast with it.
Im thinking of replacing all the bearings and hope that fixes it.

Any ideas??

Bryan Young

It's time to replace those right and left side plate bearings. 

If you deep drop jigs, spool sleeve will help a lot in getting the jig down faster.  Look at it this way, the faster you can get your jig down to where the fish are, and beat the rest of the guys on the boat, you will have a higher chance for the first bite.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

trickytune

righto I was not convinced it was the bearing so I pulled it to bits again and felt the gears with just my fingers as side load
and it felt awful but I noticed that it was in time with the gear teeth. The new anti reverse bearing sits .5mm further out and moves
the gears in relation to each other. The height of the smaller gear no longer matched so I took a circlip from the drag plate and used it to space the bearing out and problem solved. Now I just need to find another circlip and fit a bearing spacer. Currently I have zero free spool even without the drag cam fitted I think due to the missing circlip. Looking at using the one that holds the left side bearing in place I dont see a need for it there. Even with crazy drag the handle is quite good to turn and only shows slight sign of side loading.

ctran

Hello! First time poster long time snooper here. My accurate 197 also has an AR bearing problem. I was wondering what model/size Calcutta AR bearing was used? I'm planning to try my first repair on this reel.

JGB

Check with Accurate. They have a new AR assembly available. It is a 2 piece to turn a round press in to a hex.
They have also upgraded the A/R roller in all products to SS to address the corrosion issues.

Jim N.

day0ne

Remember that this only applies to the original Accurate  Boss. If you have a Boss Magnum or newer, Accurate has the AR bearings
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

ctran

Thanks Jim and DayOne! Was another to order the bearing tomorrow. But I guess I'll check with accurate since I have the E-series Boss Magnum. For the new A/R assembly they have does it require a press to install it or can I just do it myself at home with my hands? Thanks guys.