best setting at strike for upgraded TLD 25's

Started by lyt, October 21, 2012, 05:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyt

Hey Guys,

ok as you know i did the service on the tld's

now im busy setting the drag....

so i filled a bucket to exactly 18 lbs.    set my drag to MAX

tied up to it....   and can hardly lift it at 18 lbs.    i can barely move it......

now my issue is that when i back off to strike position.....  i feel like the drag at strike is not that good.....

so basically i am thinking that i would prefer to test/set the drag at strike instead of max.

any ideas?    i am spooled with 60# test mono and 60# leader.....my normal snapper setup here in Florida.   I also have two reels at 25# test and 60# leader.   

is 9 lbs about right at strike?     
If you keep doing what you've always done...
You'll keep getting what you've always got...

Squirmypug

I don't know how much drag those reels can handle but I set my reels at 1/3 of the breaking strength of the line at strike. If it is set at strike for the drag you plan to use then you can push it to full if you really need more drag.
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

alantani

i would rig this reel with straight 60# mono and 18 pounds of drag at strike with the reel on the rod and the line through the guides. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

lyt

so basically ....never go past strike?   i like this idea......
If you keep doing what you've always done...
You'll keep getting what you've always got...

Squirmypug

The only time I go past strike is when I'm trying to pull the plug from the bottom of the ocean.
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

alantani

yeah, i always fish a reel at strike.  very rarely will i push the lever farther, but at least it is there if needed. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bunnlevel Sharker

Quote from: alantani on October 23, 2012, 05:55:33 PM
yeah, i always fish a reel at strike.  very rarely will i push the lever farther, but at least it is there if needed. 
3 times for me. Monster fish gonna spool me, settin up with Js, and just when im feelin angry ;D
Grayson Lanier