Penn 12lt

Started by joel8080, October 12, 2009, 06:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joel8080

Alan

I just bought a 12lt thats like new if not new and it's a great reel, is there any thing I can do to improve the reel besides Grease everywhere & Cals Grease on the drags.

Joel 8080
Oceanside,California

alantani

make sure you have a carbon fiber drag washer and service the bearings.  that's the bulk of the work needed. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Taily

Another question for anyone with a bit of knowledge about the International II 12LT. Am looking at purchasing one at the moment (is pretty well still new in the box from the late 80's). Having never held one in my hands to date what is the physical size of the reel? From what I can gather around the size of a 45GLS or slightly larger? What sort of drag figures would it be reasonable to expect from it (and if the drag is a little ordinary is it a worthwhile proposition to cut and fit a bearing sleeve/new bearings/carbontex drag washer) and would it be asking a bit much of it to run say 30lb/15kg mono or braid on it?

Are they a little on the side of taking a knife to a gun fight or are they a very well kept secret (ie they punch well above their weight?)

Regards,

Dave.   
Nunc est bibendum....

alantani

i bought one for my father years ago.  great reels at the time.  now it seems too heavy, way under powered.  30# mono would be fine, but not spectra.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!