TOO BIG SHOCK KNOT

Started by DYSLEXCI, October 23, 2012, 05:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DYSLEXCI

I HAVE A SHIMANO 400S W/30LB BRAID. WOULD LIKE TO USE 40LB MONO SHOCKLEADER. CAN NOT MAKE KNOT TO FIT LEVELWIND (BOB @ RED DRUM) HAS TRIED BUT HIS KNOTS ARE TOO BIG TO FIT LEVELWIND. LINE BREAKS WHEN CASTING.  WHAT IS A SMALL KNOT.   THANKS

alantani

a hollow core loop with worm knot might fit.  chances are it won't, though.  you may have to serve it. 

http://www.blackwaterfishingline.com/tech_tips_videos.html
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Irish Jigger

Welcome to the site DYSLEXCI.
Have you considered removing the level wind to assist your casting and solve the knot problem?

Robert Janssen

Idunno for you, but this one always worked well for me. Very simple, very tight, very slim. Maybe a few more turns on the braid though. Trim the mono tag end closely.

Jaredbolen

PR knot is really your only choice here. Any knot that doubles over the mono will leave you with a bigger knot.

Keta

Quote from: DYSLEXCI on October 23, 2012, 05:51:13 PM
I HAVE A SHIMANO 400S W/30LB BRAID. WOULD LIKE TO USE 40LB MONO SHOCKLEADER. CAN NOT MAKE KNOT TO FIT LEVELWIND (BOB @ RED DRUM) HAS TRIED BUT HIS KNOTS ARE TOO BIG TO FIT LEVELWIND. LINE BREAKS WHEN CASTING.  WHAT IS A SMALL KNOT.   THANKS

Tie a loop (splice if you have hollow main line or a section of hollow spliced to the end of your main line) in your main line and put a wind on topshot of the proper length and pound test. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bunnlevel Sharker

WELL YOU MIGHT WANNA LEARN THE SPIDER HITCH! ::) But seriously a spider hitch with doubled 30 braid the same length as the shocker or a shorter one to an albright. If you do an albright, you want the spider hitch in the mono not the braid. You might even find that using heavier braid for the shock leader will work.
Grayson Lanier

Jaredbolen

You can't really cast a top shot with a spider knot connection, and I wouldn't cast a loop to loop conection as you're more likely to pop the inserts out of your guides. Again my thought is the PR knot or possibly the FG knot.

alantani

if you use a hollowcore spectra loop to a worm knot and a 2-3 foot topshot of fluoro, the knot will be past the rod tip when you are casting. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

I cast short (5') loop to loop topshots all of the time with no problems.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

day0ne

Quote from: Keta on October 24, 2012, 03:52:07 AM
I cast short (5') loop to loop topshots all of the time with no problems.

I cast 10' to 25' loop to loop connections all the time also. In fact, that's why I use LTL connections. No knot is smaller than a spliced loop to loop connection. I will admit on rods that I cast all the time, my leader is of a length that when casting, the connection is off the reel (10-12 feet)
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Bucktail

Smallest and best casting knot I've ever used.

Just a jig-a-lo

Bunnlevel Sharker

Quote from: Jaredbolen on October 24, 2012, 12:48:58 AM
You can't really cast a top shot with a spider knot connection, and I wouldn't cast a loop to loop conection as you're more likely to pop the inserts out of your guides.
I dont do loop to loop. Just a double line with spider hitch. Feel free to come tell me and my heavy shark rods you cant cast a spider hitch. Also loop to loop is used by many people for casting heavy mono shock and on lots of offshore boats. I just use braid shock instead when casting over 8oz.
Grayson Lanier

DYSLEXCI

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP. THINK I WILL GO W/THE LOOP TO LOOP. I AM BLIND,BUT CAN TIE A LONG BIMINI TWIST OK. B IN BUXTON WK.11-17-2012.

Bunnlevel Sharker

Quote from: DYSLEXCI on October 27, 2012, 04:11:19 PM
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP. THINK I WILL GO W/THE LOOP TO LOOP. I AM BLIND,BUT CAN TIE A LONG BIMINI TWIST OK. B IN BUXTON WK.11-17-2012.
There isnt really much buxton left now :'( :'( :'(
Grayson Lanier