we are under attack!

Started by alantani, October 23, 2012, 10:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

i figured out the reason that things here are so slow.  some idiot has an ip address of ***.178.26.99 and he is attempting to log in.  he is trying at a rate of once a second.  THAT is what is slowing things down.  

ID deleted.  thanks, guys, for the advise.

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

Allan,

If you have acess to your hosts ACL, blocking that IP will fix it, this sort of stuff is basically my job.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

i don't know how to do that, but i will check.  this guy really is an idiot....   :-\

alantani

he stopped trying to log in.  things have sped up for me.  what about you guys?

Ron Jones

Seems better,

But I switched computers so it's impossible to give a definitive answer.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

saltydog

It does seem a little faster.Waswondering what was up.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Dave Bentley

This should be a hanging offence
Only believe that which you know to be true.

Ron Jones

This is why some forum registrations require squiggly letters. By the script he was performing a brute force attack. If you want you r ego stroked a little Alan, this normally happens when a sight gets big enough to warrant the attention.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

George4741

Spotty performance this morning, again. :-\
viurem lliures o morirem

alantani

it's sped up quite a bit for me. 

reefmonsta

Quote from: noyb72 on October 23, 2012, 11:31:32 PM
Allan,

If you have acess to your hosts ACL, blocking that IP will fix it, this sort of stuff is basically my job.

Ron

Blocking an IP via ACL or any other means for that matter will not necessarily resolve the real issue.  Even if the attack is coming from a static IP, its simple to change IPs, tap off another IP, or even obfuscate your source IP.  Understanding/becoming the attacker as well as protecting against it is basically my job  ;)

Posting the source IP of the attack may not always be the best thing to do.  The owner of the IP may not even be aware that their system has been compromised, which is the case in the good majority of instances.  Furthermore, posting the IP may cause curiosity on behalf of forum members to attempt to navigate to or even worse, attempt to retaliate against this IP.  Both these situations could be bad because if the attacker has setup some form of malware hosted on the IP, it could easily infect those accessing the page.  This is not an uncommon technique to drive unsuspecting people to an infected host.  I can go on and on, but I what I am saying is that I strongly suggest that you dont attempt to connect to the IP let alone PING it, port scan it, etc.  Alright, I'll take off the Information Security Evangelist hat and put back on my fisherman hat   :)

Sorry guys if it sounds like I am lecturing, I am really trying more to educate.  Sending you a PM Alan!
reefmonsta

Ron Jones

I wholeheartedly agree with everything ReefMonsta said. What I recomended is still my (and the Navy's) first step in reducing issues, but if we're dealing with something more than an idiot, things get harder fast. Good on you Alan, in a major way, for reviewing your logs and identifying the issue. Log reviews are the most uninteresting thing to do in the world, and probably the most important in the terms of a computer system.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Jerseymic

Very slow here in the UK again this morning.

alantani

thanks for the advise, guys.  and yeah, it's slow again......   >:(