we are under attack!

Started by alantani, October 23, 2012, 10:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whiteman

... and I was blaming the trans-pacific connection until I remembered my web site is hosted in the US and it is performing flawlessly!

UK Ron

Dave Bentley

Only believe that which you know to be true.

Keta

What is there gain from attacking a "critical" site like this?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

guess it's just what they do.....  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

I can come up with things I'd like to do to them.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Normslanding

Does't seem to bad here, now.

Ron Jones

It is just what they do, but it might be more than you realize.

If this isn't just some kid being an idiot, this could be only the beginning. Getting access to the sight is the first step. That opens the door to more attacks and data collection that gives data about users and administrative access. This allows them to find all sorts of data and maybe, unfortunately, spam the sight with advertising and all other garbage we don't want here.

Why would they do this here? Have you goggled Alan Tani lately? Their are lots of individuals in the know that refer to him concerning all things reel. But it gets better; search for Keta and find out about his stainless dogs, or Dawn at Smooth Drag or or or ... All of these people come here and all are significant parts of the large cottage industry of reel repair. Can you imagine if one of their spams caught Alan's attention and he acquired the product and then liked it and gave it his blessing here? How many here have a tube of Blue Yamaha marine grease because it is what Alan Tani uses? Lots of people spend lots of money trying to make this happen, and it happens every day. I spent 3 years teaching sailors how to protect Naval networks from this crap.

So, just a little enlightenment about the seedy, horrible dark world of hacking. All in all..

I"D RATHER BE FISHING!!

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

ron, i know you're right, but i would think that the lack of advertising here would make this place much less a target.  there is no money being passed around here, and certainly no launch codes.  the guys that are popping up and guys that tried to register and are then banned.  they go onto a banned list.  (i think) the software does not even allow them to look at the site at all.  and yet keep on trying to ping the site.  each time they come up on the error board to indicate that they were blocked.  so i'm guessing that the software is working the way it's supposed to, but the site is still slowing way down.  i dunno......  :-\

Ron Jones

I would think that a Go Daddy block list would not effect this sight. Have you contacted them yet? They would have more info.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

stephen is my go to web guy and he is checking.  i was thinking about going to a dedicated server, but the costs would be prohibitive.

alantani

well, there have been 690 attempts to view the site from this same guy from 1:59pm to 3:14pm.  if nothing else, he is persistant.

Norcal Pescador

I just jumped on and it happened at Warp 10! Go figure. Did the idiot finally give up?
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

kamuwela

i must be getting old cause i was falling asleep waiting.

Keta

Slow for me again this morning.

Mark Twain