Do I need to send my MXL in for repair?

Started by mhansman, October 24, 2012, 03:47:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhansman

I'm guilty of abusing my MXL for the past two years.  Just purchased a new Avet reel, and finally actually learned that I was using the drag setting knob incorrectly.   Why?  First lever drag reel, and I'm an idiot, I guess.

I'm playing with the reel tonight, trying to set the drag to about 10#, and I find that I can spin the drag dial around and around.  I can make it so tight that I can't even push the lever forward, and I can have it on '12' and it's in free spool on 'strike' setting.

I've clearly done something bad to the reel.  Is this something I can fix on my own, or is it time to send it to 'the man'.

Thanks.

rx7240sx

i think what you need to do  is put the lever drag in free and back out the pre set knob. then you can set the drag but only use the pre set knob in free  setting and then pick up  a spring scale to set the drag. if you go beyond 9 pound at strike you will blow out the right side main bearing

alantani

too much pressure can crush the right main side plate bearing.  set the drags to 5 pounds at strike and see if you feel any roughness when you crank. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!