Less is more(some thoughts on the amount of grease used)

Started by Killerbug, October 25, 2012, 02:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmer

Hi KB - is boeshield T.9 available in your area? It's a spray that dries into a clear protective film. I live in Wisconsin (though not of scandanavian descent, many here are) and haven't had moisture issues with my freshwater reels, but the T.9 might offer a solution to these problems.   Jimmer
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Keta

Zep "Iron Clad" worked on the docks in SE Alaska, 168" and more rain a year and right on the ocean.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Killerbug

Thanks guys, I think those are the kind of products I need. Zep "Iron Clad", and T-9 are not available over here, but other maybe similar products are. But I found CorrosionX, and due to the good experiences everybody here has with that, I did not hesitate to order it. But I would have ordered it anyway from the US. 
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

johndtuttle

If water gets inside a reel there is not question that 2 things occur:

1. Grease protects parts from coming in contact with that water.

2. However, if that water does not try out it saturates the grease and *traps* the water inside.

Be that as it may, atmospheric water content is far higher than the content of water in a greased surface. Grease is still far better protection than none. Grease does not mean you don't need to service your reels, only that you can go longer between service.

I have always operated under the assumption that grease on non moving parts was gonna trap water and sand and prevent them from getting into more important stuff, or provide a barrier etc where the body comes together. It's trapping of atmospheric water should be negligible.

Living on the coast puts one in a "salt rich" environment as salt spray can suspend quite a bit of salt in the atmosphere and cause corrosion on all sorts of things which is why cars rust out so quick there.

best