Drag washers - what do the numbers mean?

Started by UKChris, October 25, 2012, 03:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKChris

Sorry for the dumb question but although I have serviced my Senators and other Penn reels for donkey's years and have swapped old asbestos washers for HT100 and so on, I had not previously come across the numbers I've seen here such as 5+1 and 7+1. What do they mean? What is the 5 or the 7 and what is the +1? I thought I knew what a 3-stack and 5-stack meant, but now I'm not so sure...

Thanks!

ps My 80STW is still in pieces pending completion of the kitchen re-painting! I'll take some pictures as it goes back together (the reel, not the kitchen). My, what a lot of little bits there are... thank goodness for this site and exploded diagrams now that my photographic memory is somewhat fogged.

Chris

Keta

5+1 is a 5 CF drag stack with a CF washer under the main gear, 7+1 is a experimental 7 CF drag stack with a CF washer under the main gear.

Have fun with the 80, I need to do some work on 2 of my 3 70s.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

UKChris

Thanks Keta,

So, it is 5 CF washers, + 1 CF washer under the gear in place of the usual red fibre washer, and you do not count all the metal keyed/eared washers. Now I get it! Originally I thought "There's already more than 5 washers in total, counting them all."

7+1 needs a lot of room, or very thin washers I assume.

I'm looking forward to getting started on this 80W, then I can look into the 80T with the odd 'freespool jump' problem now that I've been told by the gurus here what the issue is.