Some reel repair bench status.

Started by Killerbug, October 27, 2012, 12:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Killerbug

Weekly I receive several pm's from guy's with the question, what reel to buy for either for ripping rubber, or for the, in Scandinavia very popular fishing with gliders.

I have been repairing fishing reels my whole life, and professionally for a little over a year, and I would like to share some thoughts on the problems that certain models have, vs others, based average use. The serviced reels belonged to weekend worriors as well as guides. Breakage and damage due to unappropriated use was not listed.

This list is no way a "scentific" proof of anything else, than my own experience while servicing different brands of common reels used here. Also, some reels are probably over represented with faults, as they are simple more popular than others. But nevertheless the list should give you a picture of what to avoid if you are, what I like to call a reel pig, which is fair enough if you have the money.

Not all models are re presented, I have only listed those reels interesting for HW pike and Musky fishing. The list is based on more than 200+- repaired mostly medium sized baitcasters, where the majority was Shimano, Ambassaduer Classics and Revos XX. Worn out gears has not been taken into consideration.  

The reels are used under northern hemisphere conditions, often in cold humid weather as found in Scandinavia and North America(read that Wisconsin has a large population of Scandinavian decent?). Typical 50 % of all reels I get in for service, needs some repairs as well. I have only listed a reel, if I have had, ca 10 or more of a certain model in for service.

Risking ending in front of the execution pelotons in most fishing forums, I have personally concluded two things. First, a fishing reel to withstand northern weather conditions, must be made in either Sweden of Japan, and that the Ambassaduer Classics are doing remarkable well, considering that many classics I serviced was over 20 years old.

It would be interesting if several reel mechanics gathered some data together, so if you think I have forgotten something please add a comment.

Revos and Revo Toro:

Typical faults: Broken kick lever, rust in IAR bearing, bent pins in centrefugal brake, stocked pinion bearings, Unmovable spool due to corrosion,
Corrosion of frame, broken front shield, corrosion of levelvind bearings.

Rare faults, Corrosion of spool bearings, broken plastic part in the clutch mechanism, broken teeth on gears.

Ambassduer Classic:

Typical faults: rust in IAR bearing,

Rare faults: loose IAR bearing cup, destroyed pinon yoke, corrosion of frame(saltwater), corrosion of bearings

Shimano Calcutta

Typical Faults: rust in endcap bearing, rust in IAR, worn drag washers

Rare faults: None

Shimano Calcutta TE and derivalents

Typaical faults: Worn drag washers

Rare Faults: sticky thumb bar release, "sticky sideplate on drive side"

Shimano Trinidad(most reels used for sea fishing though):

Typical faults: defect spool release, worn drag washers

Rare faults: corrosion of bearings

Shimano Curado

Typical Faults; worn drag washers, sticky thumb bar

Rare faults: corrosion of bearings

ABU amb 7000x

Typical faults: broken anti reverse claw, stickers falling off

Rare faults: corrosion of frame(if used in saltwater)

Daiwa Luna 3xx/2xx

Typical faults: stock thumb bar release, broken bait clicker, broken IAR

Rare faults: broken frame.
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

alantani

you know, this actualy sums it up pretty well.....
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Killerbug

Thanks Alan, I was really not sure if I should post this, but I think consumers has the rights to know what the pay for(even if this is my subjective POW).  And I love doing reels, but hate ordering spares ;)

I started keeping track of things, so that I could manage how many, and what spares to stock.

Ron Jones

I must take issue with the Japan and Sweden comment. My family has several Penn reels that exceed 40 years old and account for thousands of dinners with nothing but regular maintenance.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dominick

Quote from: noyb72 on October 27, 2012, 09:23:44 PM
I must take issue with the Japan and Sweden comment. My family has several Penn reels that exceed 40 years old and account for thousands of dinners with nothing but regular maintenance. Ron
X2
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Killerbug

The list is based on smaller or medium sized baitcasters, not sea reels in particular. I was not my intention to disgrace US craftsmanship(All respect for Avet, and old Penn reels).  

Ken_D

Quote from: Killerbug on October 27, 2012, 12:59:22 PM

ABU amb 7000x

Hi, KB...I am wondering if the a/r issue has occurred mostly, if not exclusive to the Taiwan run of reels, just before they went Chinese.  The twits used a metric post, and an inch bore hole in the a/r dogs !!!  A gorilla hookset would then either tear off the mounting post, or dislodge the dog from the post.
The solution: replace crappy Taiwan dogs, with Swedish-made dogs with metric bore, to fit the metric post.

CapeFish

Thanks KB, interesting post, the unique fishing conditions across the globe seems to distil out the tackle that works for that specific location and then there is off course also the issue of a cult following that develops and fashion! Japanese reels are also very popular in our neck of the woods. We like high speed reels.

Killerbug

Quote from: Ken_D on October 29, 2012, 05:40:30 PM
Quote from: Killerbug on October 27, 2012, 12:59:22 PM

ABU amb 7000x

Hi, KB...I am wondering if the a/r issue has occurred mostly, if not exclusive to the Taiwan run of reels, just before they went Chinese.  The twits used a metric post, and an inch bore hole in the a/r dogs !!!  A gorilla hookset would then either tear off the mounting post, or dislodge the dog from the post.
The solution: replace crappy Taiwan dogs, with Swedish-made dogs with metric bore, to fit the metric post.

True, I have only noticed it on the models looking quite similar to the old Swedish ones(without the made in Sweden print), 7000,7000c,7000c3 etc.   

"The solution: replace crappy Taiwan dogs, with Swedish-made dogs with metric bore, to fit the metric post."

This needs explanation??

Ken_D

Hi, KB.... The anti-reverse dogs from the 5-6000 SE reels are the same as the ones for the SE 7, so if you order any of these, you should be getting an SE-made replacment part.

If you have a 7000B, or any of the Taiwan-made 7's, with the original dog, note how it totally wobbles and wiggles on the post on the brake plate.  If you now take a dog from a 5, or a 6, and place on the 7 post, note how snug it magically became...hardly any wobble.