New Business, Invoicing, Tax?

Started by triumphrick, October 27, 2012, 05:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triumphrick

Well, I guess if I want to know how other reel repair business' are handling invoicing, charging tax on labor only and other small business questions I would come here and ask away!!

I do have a cpa and help with my logo and such, but I have come to realize I need an invoicing program that is relatively simple to use.

Also, for most businesses in Florida, you dont have to charge sales tax if your work is labor only. I am looking into that further, but thought I would throw it out there to see what others are doing.

If you are using any programs to track stock or to help refill whn things run  low, I would be interested in that as well...

Thanks for any insight you may provide, Rick

Bryan Young

Hi Rick, it is dependent on the state you are in.  Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

akfish

You can do everything you need to in QuickBooks. That said, I keep all my records in a very simple spreadsheet and don't even use a dedicated accounting program. But the most important thing is to know the state tax rules before you begin in earnest.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

OldSchool

MYOB and quickbooks are a popular choice and have the ability to grow up with you, plenty of add ons available with tailoring to suit your size. Google apps is basic and free with options to add in there as well for value.

coastalobsession

Just deal with cash and dont report it
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

triumphrick

Well, that is what I hope to have...all cash customers!

But that won't always be the case.

Several of my clients are captains and they seem to want to pay with a check made out to a business...

I could always offer a discount for cash!   ;D

Alos, since I posted I have found a great invoice program....very intuitive and helpful. It's called Express Invoice by NCH software.

dobrobill

Quote from: coastalobsession on November 07, 2012, 01:45:04 AM
Just deal with cash and dont report it

Florida is the 3 largest state in population and the first in crooks..... Do it right or don't do it at all...

triumphrick

Actually, that is exactly what i have done..I am a Florida licensed LLC with an EIN number...