Alvey reels

Started by buitrechico, October 27, 2012, 08:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buitrechico

Come on Bryan,it's time to go fishing with that Alvey 60 C you inherited and post some review and pics!!!!!
Ricardo Dell´Aquila

valkie

Up until recently I have been using exclusively Alvey reels for fishing all my life.
The Egg Beaters were prone to dying when dunked in the sand and required regular maintenance.
The overheads were never any good to me, I spent most of my time trying to untangle the damn birdsnests

About 12 months ago I was given a Diawa Bait caster and barra rod.
After many hours of fighting with the reel with abundant expletives, I finally managed to get the hand of it.

I now love my bait caster overhead and wont fish with anything else in shore.
Still get the occasional nest, but I found a forum that showed me a trick to fix it and its worked every single time.......so far.

Going off shore now, I wanted something that could stop a real fish.
So I got a Penn overhead and a heavy boat rod.
Caught my first REAL big fish a couple of weeks ago, A four foot shark.
OK, stop laughing guys, remember I have only been fishing in shore, small fish.

Fighting the shark on my overhead is the greatest thing.
I want more....
life's pretty dull without fishing

gstours

Thanks for the photos of your Alvey.  I have one similar with a black spool and fixed the spool/frame so its fixed and does not swivel. I use it for trolling and mooching for salmon from a boat.  Your has a freespool lever and a clicker which is very desirable for what I do.  Its direct drive has some advantages a multiplier can not boast.  They are different for sure, compared to what we are used to stateside.
   Its a great gift, and you,ll never wear it out.    gst.