Alvey reels

Started by buitrechico, October 27, 2012, 08:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buitrechico

Hi everybody
Just curiosity,have any of you ever used  Alvey reels for surfcasting? I prefer multipliers but what about those big fixed spool reels?,the mechanism seems very simple and safe. ???
Ricardo Dell´Aquila

Bryan Young

Nope, but I have one.  I should try using it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 27, 2012, 09:16:19 PM
Nope, but I have one.  I should try using it.
Bryan:  What don't you have?  Post some pictures.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Pescachaser on October 28, 2012, 03:03:51 AM
Quote from: Bryan Young on October 27, 2012, 09:16:19 PM
Nope, but I have one.  I should try using it.
Bryan:  What don't you have?  Post some pictures.  Dominick
Actually, I really wanted one when I was growing up, but was too expensive considering that you needed a rod matched up with the reel.

About 5 years ago, my hanai Uncle past away and my Aunty gave me some of his fishing gear that his old buddies didn't want, and the Alvey set-up was one of them.  I'll get pics posted shortly.  I should use it for Stripers one of these days.  I'm sure once I learn how to cast it, I could get easily 100 yards (outside the surf).  That's the story behind this reel.

I was just thinking of doing a tutorial on this reel and bring this reel into the now fishable state.  The line looks almost as onld as I am.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

Alvey are popular in NZ (they're Australian made) and have been around nearly 100 years.
I recently saw the deep-sea winch versions being used in the Pacific for wahoo.
A dozen or more have come through my workshop over the past few years, and they're uniformly well-made and fit for pupose.
Hope that's of some assistance.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bryan Young

Thanks Justin.  I'll be pinging you if I run into reel problems.

Plugbar

I live in the state of Queensland in Australia and they are a very popular reel here for beach fishing. Great in the surf because if they get sand in them just dunk them in the surf and rinse it out and keep fishing, they are almost indestructible . They are usually matched up to a rod of about 13 foot 6 length with a low winch mount and large first stripper guide. Here are a couple of shots from Fraser Island were Tailor [I think they are called blue fish in the U.S] are popular in certain times of the year.

OldSchool

My grandfather grew, yes grew bamboo near the rainwater tank on the farm for the sole purpose of having a fishing rod,uhm.....great idea?, however fiberglass rods had been invented by the time that bamboo was big enough. Anyway you would select a sturdy piece of bamboo and cut it out of the clump, run electrical tape round the foot of some line guides and then clamp your trusty Alvey to the bottom and off you go fishing. 
Alvey would have to be one of the most widely used reels in the country and every garage that has a dusty rod probably has an Alvey hanging off it with the ultimate being an Alvey reel on a Butterworth rod. They are simple,robust,easy to clean and for beach fishing can resist the sand 10x better than threadlines or overheads.
For tailor fishing as in the pics above  the reel I had was a bit small in the drum so lure speed wasn't that great. As a generalization I would only recommend as bait not to say you cant lure fish with one but it falls a bit short. From memory the rods specifically made for the reel had a very low real seat and large first runner set to keep all that line coming off the reel under control with a leather belt being employed to sit the butt in.
For me though it was heaven getting a fibreglass rod and Mitchell 410. It was about then I developed the very UN-Australian view of never wanting to see another Alvey again. But hey they are an Australian icon.   

Dominick

Hey great picture of you and thewhale.  Very funny.  Alan, my vote for photo of the month.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

buitrechico

You're right Dominick,it's got to be the photo of the month with the title "Fisherman's dream came true"

Hard cranking work,isn't it? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Ricardo Dell´Aquila

buitrechico

Now out of joking,what casting distance can be reached with those reels and a 13 feet rod?.With that very low reel position I think the cast must be so much powerful, because the rod charge is extended to the entire 13 feet length of the rod such as a whip.People who practice Longcasting use to put the reel in a similar position,specifically for Pendulum casting technique.
Ricardo Dell´Aquila

OldSchool

There designed for fishing beyond the waves and Ive certainly seen them cast that. Exactly, I'm unsure other than to say comparable if not better than a thread-line. I don't think you would be disappointed. 

saltydog

Very nice reel,and the whale shot was truly great.
William
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

buitrechico

This kind of reel also must be great for heavy saltwater spinning using 4 oz Williamson's jet poppers.Fixed spool reel when you cast the lure and multiplier when you retrieve.Guess you can reach a good distance from the boat  ;)

I found this about Alvey reels:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhhtF4mV9XE&feature=endscreen&NR=1         

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9_sGLBW5Qg&feature=related
Ricardo Dell´Aquila

CapeFish

they are great for casting and very simple, robust and reliable. I used one for years for freshwater fishing. The one thing though is line twist, you need to use good swivels and probably more than one. All else being equal, a serious multiplier caster will probably outcast an ALvey because of the line slap created by the big coils of line coming off, but if you want to fish lite baits or lures, it certainly will get you out a long distance with ease.  Multipliers however come into their own when casting heavy baits/sinkers/lures and thick line. Similar to a spinning reel, Alveys don't like thick line and big sinkers.