WTB Baitcast spool pin.. a lot

Started by Marko, October 29, 2012, 07:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marko

Ok.. this will sound silly... i have destroy my baitcasting reel spool pin :'(

it happened as i use unappropriate tool to remove the pin from the spool assembly. i dont know that this item was so sensitive!. if the pin was deformed.. a noticable sound will emerge when I cast the lure. i suppose it was from the spool pin assembly hitting the pinion gear.

i have ordered the spool pin from Mr. AT, but i also need the pin to replace my broken ones. i'm not sure that i can make them from 1,6 mm stainless stell wire and reduce some size on one side with sanding paper or with a file. i need a pin with one side is 1,6 mm and another end was 1,2 mm. and i need a dozen or two.

please help me.... Many Thanks

Marko Zakaria

alantani

i have the pin pliers you were asking about.  i don't use it so i will just send you the one that i have.  as for the pins themselves, you may have to go to the manufacturer.  or can you tell us which reel you have? 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

What is the diameter and length of the pin?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Marko

I'll measure the length tommorow-to make sure. I assume most baitcasting reel(low profile) uses the same length and diameter.

redsetta

QuoteI assume most baitcasting reel (low profile) uses the same length and diameter.
It's a nice idea, but not so much a reality ;)
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Marko

Ok Lads,

i have check some BC reels and found that they use 1 common size. pin length 8 mm and diameter was 1,6 mm.

hopefully its available easily ;D

ReelSpeed

Hey Marko, be careful with that 1.6mm pin diameter.  When we started making our pin pliers, I tested a lot of different reels...what I found is that many times the actual pin diameter was just under 1.6mm.  If we made the pin in the pliers at 1.6mm, it would not go in the spool hole for the pin.. I have seen a lot of reels have pins that are more like 1.5mm... just a thought!
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

alantani

marko, i shipped out the chips and two pin pliers.  aaron, hope it's ok, but i gave marko the one you send to me, plus the one i got from bocabearings.  that way he can check out both. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ReelSpeed

The gift that keeps on giving.  Pay it forward, so they say...

Alan, I will send you out a new pair of some other ones I made.
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

Marko

Hi Aaron..

yes.. its true that some reels use 1,5 mm or 1,4 mm. but if i have the 1,6 mm, i can reduce the size by rotating them with hand drill and a file/ sandpaper. because if its smaller.. i can not do anything. today i go to a hobby shop and buy one for trial. it's 9 mm in length and diameter was 1,8 mm. i will try to smaller the diameter. hopefully it will fit  ;D

To Mr. AT,

please PM me the shipping cost. i'll make the payment soon as tommorow afternoon i'm going for fishing trip to Ujung Kulon National Park. years a go around this national park was famous for their backbreaking GT.. now.. it's getting harder and harder to get one on the popper as  fishermen was not implementing Catch and release method.. too bad... :(

and on Monday evening i'm leaving to suburb area in Lampung, Sumatra for Giant Snakehead/Tomman fishing. as i Heard US was invaded by one of the Snakehead species-we Indonesians love this fish. mostly to be salt dried. You should try it also. fish them with a soft body frog size 55 mm.. they quite a fighter. I believe they fought more than the Bass fish family :D.

okay.. I'll let everyone know if i made it to reduce the size for the pin.

Thanks

Marko

Keta

A fine file will do a better job than sandpaper.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

freshtoman

Quote from: Marko on November 01, 2012, 05:48:54 PM
Hi Aaron..

Hello Marko!  I joined the club of battered spool pins :(    I wished I read about your post earlier...   

I got an Abu MGX (I damaged the spool pin) and even though I got the correct part number, it does not fit!  I checked out the various schematics of various models and so far, they bear the same part no.

I wrote to purefishing.com and hope they can come back to me soon.   Meanwhile, can you share about your reducing the pin size?

Thanks.

Bryan Young

I used a hand drill and one of those tiny and very fine files to remove material.  grind a little, test, grind a little, test,... until it fits very snug. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

freshtoman

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 29, 2013, 03:00:20 PM
I used a hand drill and one of those tiny and very fine files to remove material.  grind a little, test, grind a little, test,... until it fits very snug. 

brilliant idea! Let me go borrow a drill.   Thanks Bryan!

Marko

Quote from: freshtoman on January 29, 2013, 02:28:22 PM
Quote from: Marko on November 01, 2012, 05:48:54 PM
Hi Aaron..

Hello Marko!  I joined the club of battered spool pins :(    I wished I read about your post earlier...   

I got an Abu MGX (I damaged the spool pin) and even though I got the correct part number, it does not fit!  I checked out the various schematics of various models and so far, they bear the same part no.

I wrote to purefishing.com and hope they can come back to me soon.   Meanwhile, can you share about your reducing the pin size?

Thanks.

geez.. i think i bought a wrong material.. those wheel pins for RC car was just too tough!! >:(

it was too hard to get even 0,1 mm with a file.. dang!.. for the meantime i'm reshaping my broken spool pin and it works... for the time being..

my next try would be 1,6 mm stainless steel wire. hope that one works.