Daiwa Sealine 47H - Drag Washers??

Started by retired, October 30, 2012, 12:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retired

I have 2 of these reels and have used them for the last 25 years for salmon fishing.  During that time they have seen a lot of use and I have only changed the drag washers once.  This last fishing season I noticed that the drag was not very smooth anymore and felt rather "notchy".   Other than replacing the stock washers (3 per reel), is there a better quality washer like a carbon washer available that can be used?

Thanks

Nessie Hunter

welcome to the board retired (im retired also)....   

The Woven Carbon Fiber (Carbontex) offered by Smoothdrags will vastly improve those drags of yours....   
Greased Carbontex is #1...... 
Should also work great for another 25+++ yrs.....
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

day0ne

Most of the Sealines use very thick washers. They don't make Carbontex that thick (or at least Dawn doesn't have it). You may have to double up on the washers like Alan has done on some of the other Sealines. Another thing to watch for is some of the smaller Sealines have a lip inside the main gear where the gear sleeve goes through that will allow the metal drag washer to bottom out before it contacts the carbontex washer. I don't have any 47's to look at but I have seen the lip on the 50H and other 250 sized reels
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Keta

One of the winter projects I have is cutting thin metal drag washers for these reels, I have them drawn up but haven't made a first cutting yet.  It looks like a 5+1 drag stack will fit.  The "lip" on the main gear might have to be removed to make it work.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Quote from: Keta on October 30, 2012, 12:32:29 PM
One of the winter projects I have is cutting thin metal drag washers for these reels, I have them drawn up but haven't made a first cutting yet.  It looks like a 5+1 drag stack will fit.  The "lip" on the main gear might have to be removed to make it work.
Lee, I have all of the sizes for the sealines.  Onces things settle down, let's talk about getting these things cut. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

retired

If I understand correctly, these washers are presently not available, but will be sometime in the futrue?

Keta

Hopefully sometime in the near future.

Mark Twain

retired

bluefish69

I found some thick Drag Washers today between 1/8 - 3/16" thick. If you have the measurements & they are right they are yours.

I will Mic them tomorrow
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

retired

The measurements in inches on mine are:
outside      .8125
inside         .5625
thickness   .0625

1/8 " is twice the thickness of mine.  If the other dimensions are okay, can the thickness be nachine down to 1/16"?

Thanks

bluefish69

I haven't got the slightest idea about splitting these D. W. I don't know what brand they are. I bought a large Plano box last Winter & these were there. There are even some that feel like leather.

Another Retired Guy

Mike

Keta

Quote from: retired on November 01, 2012, 03:23:24 AM
  If the other dimensions are okay, can the thickness be nachine down to 1/16"?

Thanks

Material close to .0625 thick can be cut but I'm looking at closer to .030 so more CF washers can be used.

Mark Twain

bluefish69

This is the sizes that I have. I'm not sure they are CF

7 pcs - .9530  outside                     3 pcs - .7925  outside

.5945  inside                                  .4165  inside

.1305  thick                                    .0985  Thick

I see fibre but not sure what kind. These are your if they work for you.

Keta

I need to have the metal drag washers, a main gear and a reel to get accurate measurements of the ears and slot and test them.  We will eventualy get there.

Resizing CF drag washers, especially the harder Carbontex, is easy.

Mark Twain