Okinawa Japan Report

Started by Salty Rods Fishing, October 30, 2012, 01:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty Rods Fishing

The Mahi bite is ON!! here, over the past few weeks we have been boating around 40 to 60 fish and releasing 200+. Over here in Okinawa the Mahi are considered a TRASH fish and they do not have much commercial value $1 to 2 a lb, so there is an abundance.

We get a real good bite in the fall and spring. On Sunday our boat had 6 Anglers and all 6 were hooked up multiple times at once. The normal style of fishing we do over here in Drift fishing around the FAD's or Payaos. The mahi were hitting everything from chunked bait, jigs, worms, and really hot on the poppers!

We also landed 8 decent Rainbow Runners!

We boated around 70 fish and stopped at 1 because the boat was full and the guys were tired!

Salty Rod Callahan

redsetta

Nice work Rod - looks like a great day!
Had no idea the fishing was so good up there.
What tackle and line weight are you generally using?
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Cone

Wow great trip and eating! Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

alantani

great photos!  i don't care for mahi mahi or rainbow runners as sashimi.  never had rainbow runners fried or seared, but i do like mahi mahi seared.  very tasty. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Salty Rods Fishing

Quote from: redsetta on October 30, 2012, 01:50:26 AM
Nice work Rod - looks like a great day!
Had no idea the fishing was so good up there.
What tackle and line weight are you generally using?
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers, Justin

Justin,

Most people don't know how good the fishing is here but its GREAT!! My rental gear is Penn 330GT2 and Penn Defiance 40s. I am running 60 to 70lb mono with 60lb fluro leaders. Also using 22 to 24 size hooks.

For tuna season, that tuna are small out here on normal drift trips we use 50 fluro and 18 hooks. But I also do BIG tuna charters where we catch 80 to 100lb Yellow Fin.

Rod
Salty Rod Callahan

HOLEINTHEWATER

Bryan Young

Wow, look at that Mahi Mahi.  I didn't realize Okinawa was such an awesome fishing destination.  I may need to go there to visit relatives (yeah right, FISHING!!!)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

trishul

70 fish wow thats some serious action mush have been fun, its strange they dont like dorado they actually taste great deep fried in batter.