29L-85?

Started by Ron Jones, October 30, 2012, 04:29:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

Their are a bunch of reels that use this spool. I have fallen in love with the size after playing with an 85 for the last few days. The 85 is in the mail, so I'm in the market. What reel using this spool would be best for casting?

While growing up, the old man taught me a technique with a twin tailed white grub we called "Scampis". You would cast and let it hit the bottom, and then wait for a slow count of 20. Then you turn the reel one handle revolution, and then count again. Extraordinarily boring, but very productive, especially on days when the bite wasn't hot. I'd like to use this reel to build a rig for using this technique. One long cast and slow action can mean a retrieve lasts 30 minutes. This spool size seems small enough to make a light rig but with enough capacity (using braid) to handle the occasional big boy. I'm thinking 8-9ft of graphite in the 20#ish range. Something like a steelhead rod.

I humbly await your educated recommendations, and as a Navy Chief I'm not humble about much.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

you'd have alot of fun in this garage.  bryan knows.  i've got parts scattered everywhere. 

the drags on the 85 are pretty small.  and braid would probably make the spool explode....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

This should help, I only see the 85 and 79 using the 29-85 spool.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4533.0
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Ha Ha,

I missed the 79. The models 60, 185 and the model 10 also use it. They all have a stainless sleeve available (have to check on the 79,) I'm not sure about the drags. I think this is the same size spool as the 501, that is more money and power than I have in mind for this rig. I would use the aluminum spool.

Alan, I would fall over dead in your garage. So many possibilities, so little time.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Are you talking interchangeability like in making a narrower or wider reel than it was originally not a direct replacement spool? 

I have a 10 apart in a tub down at the shop, I'll look to see how it compares to a 60 and 85 spool.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

Since we're talking about interchangeability, this spool will also fit in the 285 Delmar and 2/0 Senator.  I've swapped spools around between an 85, 60 longbeach and 2/0.  The 79 is a knucklebuster.  Another knucklebuster is the old 80 conventional (again, same size spool) which is basically an 85 Seaboy without drags.  Actually, I think the 79 and 80 are quite similar, just having different retrieve ratios.  

I don't know which one would be best for casting as they are all similar.

The -85 spool isn't the same size as the 501, different width and diameter.

George
viurem lliures o morirem

Ron Jones

Dang it,

So, my mind got away from me, it happens. I knew it fit a small Senator and thought it was the 110, which has the same spool as the 501. but I was wrong, it is the 111, my bust.

It makes sence though, the 112 is still my favorite sized reel diameter for casting, just fits my hand. This is basically a narrow 112 spool.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Ron Jones

OK,

So the 85 is not in the mail, and is now mine. First Ebay SNAFU I've dealt with, I still need two 66s. Anyways, I yanked this thing to pieces and did the first thing I always do which is put a magnet to the main, ferrous attraction is a wonderful thing. This is by far and away the dirtiest well preserved reel I've opened. I think the owner thought that a shot of 30w after each trip would do it. I was worried that something was broken because the reel went backward. Nope, just so much gunk that the dog didn't always move. The sleeve looks like it did the day it left the factory, however.

So, I'm thinking 3CF washers on the factory sleeve and load it with 30# braid with short 30# topshot, that is if I can find a spool. I just don't see fishing a plastic spool with modern line. A new spool costs enough for 2 reels and buying effectively this same reel to fix it is for someone who is further along with this sickness then I am, at least for now.

I guess this is a wordy way of saying I am interested in begging, borrowing or stealing a spool. I would love aluminum but chrome would be fine. Beggars can't be choosers. If I get this thing together it will definitely go underwater with me, I have a few reels that have fished all over the world, this will be one of them.

Thanks
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

George4741

I like my 85, too.  In fact, I donated some unwanted reels to a fishing program but couldn't part with the 85.  I don't want to shell out $20 for an aluminum spool, so if I ever take it fishing I'll use the chromed spool out of my 2/0 senator.

Quote from: alantani on October 30, 2012, 04:32:28 AM
you'd have alot of fun in this garage.  bryan knows.  i've got parts scattered everywhere. 

Alan, you should invite us forum members over to your garage. ;)  No telling what treasures we would find, and I'm sure you'll make a few dollars, too.

George
viurem lliures o morirem

john2244

Ron,

You will like fishing the Penn 85.  I used mine on a couple of trips this summer and matched it to an old 8' Sabre rod and it worked great.  I guess my biggest fish was a 10# yellowtail.  The reel worked fine with the original spool.
John

Ron Jones

Thanks John!

What line did you spool it with?
Ronald Jones
"

john2244

Ron,

I think on this reel it was 3/4 spool of 50#  dacron and then 20# mono.

John

Ron Jones

So,
It's all back together, 2CF drags and 1 factory, it's what I had laying around and the other 2 factory drags fell to pieces. I loaded it with straight 20# mono and figure I'll be ginger with it until I can do something about a spool. I put it on a 7 foot yeler po' (Ugly Stick Tiger Rod) and we'll see how she does for reel after work tomorrow.

I am certain that as time goes on I will have no choice but to put a stainless sleeve and 2 dogs in this reel. The drags are just too small to think about a 5+1 or anything like that, but the stainless and dd is always a good idea.

By the way, a fast cheap upgrade for these things is to use the star and handle off a 113. Drag is easier to adjust and the handle makes it feel like a totally different reel.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Ron Jones

John, you are absolutely correct!
This thing casts one ounce for miles. I was out at the jetty at Nimitz tonight and was out casting guys with 12 and 13 foot surf rigs. We got into some To`au, an invasive snapper that tastes great! All of these were small for eating but some of the bruddas are gonna slide them tonight North Shore side. I think this plastic spool will stick around just for this. The 113 handle and star fish so nice.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"