PENN 555

Started by Valk, October 30, 2012, 06:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valk

My father in law recently passed away, and i found a Old Penn 555 in pretty bad shape, i stripped it down, cleaned and lubed the working parts but discovered that the Gear Stud and Drag Star is stripped, i managed to find a new Gear stud but nobody seems to stock a Drag Star. Ive considered rethreading but also cannot seem to find the correct fine thread tool. Ive considered removing the threaded part and inserting a new fine thread bolt but cannot find one that fits. Its only sentiment that drives me at this stage.
Any suggestions ?

redsetta

G'day and welcome Valk,
Whether you have the 555GS or 555Mag, both parts are the same and are available from Scott's here:
Hope that's of some assistance.
Let us know if you run into any difficulties.
Good luck, Justin

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Valk

Thanks Redsetta

Did i mention i need to get the part to South Africa, any idea if they will be able to post me the part and the cost involved?

Appreciate your help thus far.

Keta

Mo at Penn Parts would know about shipping to SA but I think she is busy with the aftermath of the storm.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Valk

Thanks for the replies you guys, looks like the cost of postage will be double the price of the part, so propably not sensible to order, will have to keep looking. :-\   

alantani

if you can tell me the exact part number of the star you need, i can take a look as well.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Valk

Hello alantani, 555 GS - Key no. 10, Description - Drag Star, Part no. 010 555.
appreciated. 

alantani

i just called my local shop and they do not have one, nor do i.  i would have to order one from new jersey, and they are bailing out from the hurricaine right now.  it may be a while. ping me again in a couple of weeks and i should be able to get one for you. 

Valk

thanks, will do ! South African papers full of Sandy destruction this morning. Be strong.

Valk

Hallo Alan, if your offer still stands, please let me know the way forward. Thanks

alantani

mysticparts.com is up and running.  you should be able to order from them.  give it a try.  if it doesn't work, let me know.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Valk

Irish Jigger

Available in UK , £3.50. PM for details.

Valk

Hallo Alan, received the part a couple of days ago and very pleased with Scotts service, pricy on the shipping though, but happy to have a working reel.
Thanks for the input from everyone who posted replies, pleasing to see i'm not the only reel freak out there.(some serious fanatic members if you look at the posts and photos). 
Merry Christmas from a sunny South Africa  8)

Valk

While fighting the first fish after repairing the 555 i encountered a problem with the drag, the drag star loosens on its own and i have to tighten the drag after every couple of turns of the reel handle, anyone encountered the same? Solution?