Rebuilt tld 15 now makes a grinding noise?

Started by Biggameaddict, October 31, 2012, 04:04:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggameaddict

Hey everyone how you guys doin? I just rebuilt a shimano tld 15 i bought from some guy online and now im all done but it makes a grinding noise now. My little brother said he played with the drag preset screw but i did a whole rebuild and it still makes that noise. The pinion bearing felt a little rusted but i cleaned it out and heavily packed with grease so when i put together the right sideplate and spin it by itself it is smooth and dounds ok but when i put everything back together it makes a grinding noise and is hard to turn the handle. It freespools great and the other bearings were fine, gears were great, clicked great, everything looked ok but that one bearing was a little bit rusted you could barely tell. Any suggestions as to what might be the cause? The spool shaft and all the washers on it are in order. Could it be the heatshield? Idk i need your guys help. Thanks.

redsetta

G'day BGA,
Pinion bearing for sure.
Nice easy fix though ;)
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

packing a right main side plate bearing with grease can quiet it down a little.  if you clean it out and add a light oil, then the rumble from the bearing with echo throughout the entire reel!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Biggameaddict

Quote from: redsetta on October 31, 2012, 04:45:09 AM
G'day BGA,
Pinion bearing for sure.
Nice easy fix though ;)
Good luck, Justin
Ill try to get a pinion bearing for it thanks! I think tough it could be an allignment pattern because the heatshields thread looked chafed on the top. Ill get a pic up if i can. Thanks for the help.

Biggameaddict

Quote from: alantani on October 31, 2012, 06:28:43 AM
packing a right main side plate bearing with grease can quiet it down a little.  if you clean it out and add a light oil, then the rumble from the bearing with echo throughout the entire reel!
I packed it with grease and when i turn the handle without putting the reel back togethere its perfectly quiet but once spool and frame are on it sounds like a lawn mower.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Biggameaddict

Thanks guys, do you know anywhere i can get one?

rx7240sx

shimano1-877-577-0600  or dawn at smooth drag 760) 949-0271