Penn 49 super mariner

Started by broschro, November 01, 2012, 12:59:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

Got it, that makes sence. But what about my 113? George and John and I have all built them with 5+1 drags, I will narrow mine as soon as I get a 66. Are you of the opinion that they are underbuilt or is the bigger spool of the 49 the difference? I am only being a butt head because your opinion is important and I'd like to know what to expect when I fish my 113s.

I actually don't care for the post and sleeve arangement on Penns. It seems to me that a solid sleeve, like on some Diawa reels, is a stronger arangement. Especially if the sleeve is seated in a beefy bushing or apropriately sized bearing. Of course, the Diawa sleeve connects to the frame and that isn't feasable on a Penn.

If you built a heavy bridge, what are the chances you would cause the side plate to fail? I don't know how thick the sideplate is on a 49, but I wouldn't think it is much thinner than a 113H, and those have held up to an awful lot.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

The 113, not the 113H, has the same shaft but a smaller spool OD as the 49L so less mechanical advantage.  You may or may not see problems...time will tell.  Untill proven I will not build a 7+1 for others and do not intend to fish it at the high end, 50lb/60lb makes me happy with the 113H and 349H reels, 60lb/80lb for the 114H but I'll set it up for 50lb first.  If I feel the need to fish heavier I'll use one of my Avet 4/0s, 30s and 50s or my Penn International 70s but another trip south isn't in the near future.

As for a heavier bridge, eventualty we will reach the point where something else fails.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

OK,
I guess I should ask if anyone has ever fished a 5+1 ss sleeved 49L hard? I am happy with a narrow 113 size reels for now but if I move further offshore I will need to go bigger, I am looking hard at the 49/349.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

349H for lighter 114HN for heavier.  I have seen more damaged 49L reels when I lived in SE Alaska than 349s, big butts put a strain on a reel.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: noyb72 on November 01, 2012, 09:43:55 PM
OK,
I guess I should ask if anyone has ever fished a 5+1 ss sleeved 49L hard? I am happy with a narrow 113 size reels for now but if I move further offshore I will need to go bigger, I am looking hard at the 49/349.

Ron

The 113 Tank is a stronger reel than the 49 and the 114HN is a stronger reel  than the 349, I believe I could get could get the 114HN close to the 349 in weight.
We're waiting for the ss gears for the 114h, Dom had a good lead, but with all of that mess from Sandy, I don't know. :-\

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Aluminum 114HN spools are much lighter than the narrower cast bronze/brass 349H spools.  I'll weigh my 114HN and 349HW and see what the difference is.  I did find one standard width Newell 349H spool and love the new weight.

Mark Twain

Ron Jones

I am certain that the tank is stronger, but doesn't the 49 have more line capacity?

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Keta

Just a guess from spooling reels but I think the capacity is close, I use bulk spools and do not have a line counter.  If you need more line use more Spectra for backing.  Most of my reels are filled with Spectra with topshots from 10'-100'.  The short ones for bottom fishing and flylining live bait, long ones for trolling.

Mark Twain

George4741

Interesting thread.  

I got rid of my 49 because I felt it didn't offer any advantage over my 349's.  It also had a plastic spool and would cost more to replace than I was prepared to spend.  I don't think a 1+5 drag will fit, but it might if you fabricate some very thin metal washers and use some very thin carbontex.  

Quote from: Keta on November 01, 2012, 09:47:18 PM
349H for lighter 114HN for heavier.  I have seen more damaged 49L reels when I lived in SE Alaska than 349s, big butts put a strain on a reel.

One of the other forum members (I forget which one) also said he has seen many 49's damaged from halibut fishing.  I have never used one but I've examined a few 49's at swap meets and garage sales and all had bent spools and/or a bent reel foot.  I figure they were pushed hard to make that happen.  

Me, I'll stay with a 349 and not feel handicapped with it's slightly slower 1:3.25 gear ratio.  It's beefier than a 49 and easily holds a 1+5 drag.

Here is a link to ReelSpeed's custom 49.  It shows what can be done with one.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2364.0

viurem lliures o morirem

Ron Jones

OK, so I obviously missed something, Reelspeeds reel using a 113H side plate makes me think a 49 is the same diameter as a YTS, I thought it was the diameter of a 6/0.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

George4741

No, he is using a 113h pressure plate washer, the last washer on the drag stack before the bellville and drag star.  He calls it the drag cover.  See how also he enlarged the opening for the gear sleeve/drags in the side plate.

Notice how he also beefed the reel up with a Newell reel foot and spacer bars and removed the knucklebuster lever.
viurem lliures o morirem

Ron Jones

Got it,

So I wonder what gears he used? If you use a 114h gear sleeve you certainly can't use 49 gears.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

fisho1

i have just found a penn 49 super mariner in a second hand store, it was covered in dust, i have only ever seen 1 similar before, and it seems to be in good condition, my question is, it has two drag levers on the side, how do i use it correctly. please.

Keta

One disconnects the anti reverse dog the other disconnects the spool.

Mark Twain

fisho1

thank you very much, am looking forward to using this reel.