Penn 49 super mariner

Started by broschro, November 01, 2012, 12:59:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broschro

what can i do to hot rod this bad boy?

Keta

Trade it for a 349 Master Mariner ;D

A SS gear sleeve and CF drag washers are a good start.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

Quote from: Keta on November 01, 2012, 01:06:51 AM
Trade it for a 349 Master Mariner ;D

X2 ;D

In addition to what Lee suggested, a Newell reel foot and spacer bars, an aluminum spool, and a Penn power handle.
  George

viurem lliures o morirem

Ron Jones

Speaking of the 349, I understand it is basically a narrow 6/0. Will a stainless 6/0 gear sleeve fit the 349 bridge?

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

The 349H is close but not quite a 114HNN, the 114 is a stronger reel.  

I have been using 113H gear sleeves when upgrading the drag stacks to 5+1 and 7+1.

Back to the 49L.
I don't have one yet but I'm working on a few trades, a friends grandson has one he will not trade a 113H or 349H for.  I want at least one for a teaser reel.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

broschro

Can I upgrade the stack? Also what ss sleeve do I order? Thanks

Keta

Yes, you might have to use HT-100 or resize Carbontex washers if Dawn does not make them for the 49 but they are similar to most Penn reels.  The gear sleeve is the same as the 500/112H, Penn part #98-60, they should be available from Alan.

Mark Twain

broschro

Alto Mare

Broschro, I would keep 1+3 stack in the 49. If you fish that reel harder than intended, I'm sure something will give. I believe the 49 wasn't designed right. The drags on the 49 are just as big as the 6/0 and 9/0, they're 1/16 smaller, but the ID is also smaller making them the same, as for coverage, the gear sleeve is a jigmaster sleeve....that should tell you something right there. I've seen the tip of the sleeve get dameged and  I've also seen the sleeve post itself get lose on the plate on those.
I was trying to fit the 349 bridge in there, but the screw holes don't line up. Maybe someone could spot weld the existing holes and redrill. I'm not doing it because I'm not interested. In my opinion the 114H narrow is a much better reel than the 49 and 349.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 01, 2012, 07:54:55 PM
In my opinion the 114H narrow is a much better reel than the 49 and 349.
Sal

Tig weld or braze the holes Sal but I have a 49L bridge plate drawn up and was planning on making a shaft to fit a 113H gear sleeve on it but I still need a 49L.  AFTER the other project though.  We had high wind yesterday and I have some large branches to cut off the fences, not nearly as bad as our east coast friends though.

The 114HN is stronger for sure and it's more ballanced than than the narrower 349H.  I still like the 349H though and the 49L has it's place.

The 114H has a thicker base, thicker gear sleeve shaft, larger gear sleeve, larger screws, thicker bridge plate and heavier side plates, the 349H has more drag contact due to the smaller gear sleeve ID.  My 114H has a brass main gear, I've never seen brass main gears in a 349H but they might have come with them in the last years of production.  Over all I like my new to me 114H a lot but I have had 349s for a long time and they work well.

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Lee, we talked about this project a while back, I'm not 100% sure on it, but i believe that we decided it wasn't worth it, well I mdid anyway. You were surprised about the sleeve being so undersized. I could probably find what we talked about, I keep all of my messages, coming and going, but like I said above, I'm not really interested in it. There are way better reels ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Yes, there are better reels for some applications but for it's size the 49L winds in a lot of line per crank, that's why I want at least 1 for a teaser reel.... I have a friend that wants to catch billfish on a flyrod.

I think I have 2 49L reels comming in trade for repair work.

Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Sal,
Are you saying that the larger drags are the issue with the 49L? I think the steel gears and a SS sleeve would hold up to anything. I have been playing with drags a lot lately, and I have pretty much come to agree with the 5 pound per disk rule. I have a 5+1 113 with steel gears that I am thrilled with and their is plenty of evidence on this board that that is safe. So a 5+1 49L with a SS sleeve should give comperable drag and run cooler because of the larger surface area of the cf disks. The 49L seems to have a lot going for it as a foundation for a medium capacity hot rod.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Ron, the ss sleeve will help somewhat, but the problem is also with the  post ,  I believe it's undersized for that reel and I've seen a few get lose on the bridge plate. The 49 is a nice reel. 1+3 CF washers, a ss sleeve and your set, I woldn't go any further.
Sal

Keta

The mechanical advantage of a larger diameter spool and 500 size shaft will cause problems sooner than on a 500/112H size reel. 

Mark Twain