First Reel TLD15

Started by Swankster, November 03, 2012, 02:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swankster

Successfully gave my TLD15 the Alan Tani treatment tonight. Really impressed with the free spool. (TSI 301)

I have been lurking the board for a while now and just wanted to say hello and thank you to everyone!

Oh and one question. Even with the lever positioned in free spool, if I turn the reel handle the spool will ever so slightly turn. Any thoughts? I installed a new carbon fiber drag washer and bellevilles.

alantani

looks nice! you might have the pressure plate rubbing against the spool cap right at the rubber gasket.  removing the spool cap (cooling cover) re-assembling the reel would answer that question. glad everything worked out!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Swankster

Thanks Alan. I'll give that a try. Also, how should the bellevilles be aligned "()" ?

I think I installed them "))", and for some odd reason woke up this morning thinking about them (How sad! Haha)

alantani

yeah, it's "()".  did you get the heavy bellevilles? 

Swankster

I did get the heavy bellevilles.

On the 2nd TLD 15 I worked on the spool shaft was getting stuck in the frame and not allowing the reel to free spool. Some gentle filing of where the crosspin fits into the frame and all is well.

alantani

we get quite a few coming in for service.  can we send all of the tld's to you?

Swankster

haha! ;D Pretty soon I will have all of my reels serviced and all of the 'tools of the trade' sitting idle.

I even went so far as to pick up nitrile gloves and repack the 3 oz. tube of grease (that came with my greese gun) with Yamaha Marine Grease.

Also, Alan, the bearing packer you sent is genius!

Now I need to get on the water and listen to that drag screem.

For anyone out there thinking of cracking your first reel, I found this post very helpful: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4579.0