When things go wrong(a story about not giving up)

Started by Killerbug, November 03, 2012, 11:58:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Killerbug

I guess we have all tried to destroy or loosing parts, when trying to repair things.  The most amateurish event from my hand, was when I was servicing an old Cardinall 33 spinning reel, who needed a new bail.  After 4 month of searching I found two new bails at ebay.com, ordered them both immediately. Great was the day, when the postman arrived, and I could sit down at my workbench with a nice cup of cofee

After something that was about to turn into a full scale war with two minor bail springs, the moment had arrived, when I could mount the bail arms. The screw securing the right bail arm was a bit tigh, Hmmm it has to go in, and crack!! screw head broken, and this left a broken screw inside the Rotor cup. 

This was luckily my own reel, so disappointed and angry, I threw all the reelparts in a plastic bag and packed it deep into my closet,, swearing I would never touch a Cardinal agian. 

A few days later, I was on it again though, calling ABU, begging them, giving them love on the phone, hoping they could provide me with a new rotor. But NO!,we do not have any Mr, it's an 30 years old reel, so please understand. 

Six month later, after mailing several ABU collectors(as faar as Japan), I received a brand new rotor cup for my Cardinal 33, as well as a new screw for the bail arm.  Burned from my previous experiences, I carefully planned the action and stated to mount the bail arm. But the Cardinals have some hellish annoying bail springs to mount, and suddently BLING!, this
hatefull sound of a small spring ejecting out in nowhere, and me trying to listen to the direction it took.  I searched around my desk for 30 min, with no luck. Later my wife hovered the area under protest, and a crisis in our marriage was about to emerge.  I lost the battle, and my bail spring forever.

2 month ago, I received four new bailsprings from a guy in Texas, and my little pearl of a spinning reel is now going with me on the water tomorrow.

Never give up!, and thank christ for the internet. 
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

Bill B

That's funny....glad to hear others have the same fear of the "bling" sound...so how does the newly repaired reel fish?  any photos.
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Gr8White

whenever u strip anything with circlips(jesus clips- jeezs where did that go ) or small springs do it inside a see through plastic bag
the old man was a gunsmith and beat the crap out of me once as i lost a customers hammer spring -after he told me to be careful
lesson learned the hard way, but i thank him regularly for that beating when taking small stuff apart

philaroman

Ah, the vile little springs & C-clips  :(

Whenever possible, TETHER THE LITTLE BASTARDS!!!  A long, strong, BRIGHT thread can usually be attached to the spring/clip, in some manner that allows you to install them unhindered, then remove the string...  THINK AHEAD -- if you won't be able to easily cut the string out when you're done, use some sort of loop/noose with a LONG tag end

floating doc

I'm so glad I read this post. Good tips.

It makes me think of when I spay a dog or cat. Don't let go of the pedicle until you're sure that your ligatures are tight and secure.
Central Florida

Dominick

Quote from: floating doc on September 13, 2013, 01:11:01 AM
I'm so glad I read this post. Good tips.

It makes me think of when I spay a dog or cat. Don't let go of the pedicle until you're sure that your ligatures are tight and secure.
You are right doc good tips.  I will make sure I don't drop a stitch in the pedicle.   ;D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Killerbug

Quote from: TARFU on November 15, 2012, 02:42:28 AM
That's funny....glad to hear others have the same fear of the "bling" sound...so how does the newly repaired reel fish?  any photos.

Hi, stills runs perfectly well, I will actually bring it with me this weekend.

floating doc

It's amazing how big the European walleye get. Thanks for sharing your photo.
Central Florida

Killerbug

Quote from: floating doc on October 04, 2013, 03:06:19 PM
It's amazing how big the European walleye get. Thanks for sharing your photo.

I would gladly swap it for musky  ;D