285M Delmar

Started by Keta, November 05, 2012, 03:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I was digging in my spare parts bin looking for a 29-60 spool an stumbled into a reel I got with a bunch of parts reels I picked up on Ebay.  It is a 258M in good shape and appearers to have never been near saltwater.  For a low end reel it looks well built with a metal spool, not aluminum or chromed brass it looks like SS.  It is slower than 3:1....2.5:1?

Does anyone know more about this reel?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

I think I may have a spool if you are still looking b
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

I found the 60 spool and it will be in the mail to it's new home as soon as I get an address.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

Quote from: Keta on November 05, 2012, 03:50:03 PM

It's about the same as an 85 Seaboy, but many of the Delmars have a metal spool.  The spools are interchangeable between the 60, 85, and 285.
viurem lliures o morirem

Irish Jigger

Quote from: George4741 on November 05, 2012, 07:08:53 PM
Quote from: Keta on November 05, 2012, 03:50:03 PM

It's about the same as an 85 Seaboy, but many of the Delmars have a metal spool.  The spools are interchangeable between the 60, 85, and 285.

Ratio 2.3:1,originals had a chromed brass spool but the stainless spool is ok. The bakelite spools are very weak and chip easily. Innards are interchangeable with the Long Beach 60.

Ron Jones

The Del Mar is basically a 60 without chrome rings. The 85 and the 60/285 are actually quite different. The 85 does not have bearings and is faster with tiny drags. The 60 uses the same spool with a 113 main gear. A double dogged 60 or Del Mar with a SS sleeve and 5+1 drag stack and an aluminum spool would be a world class reel. 20#s of drag and a spool begging to be filled with 60 pound braid.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

akfish

Not quite. The 85 had the same drags as the 285 and 60 (a three stack of 006 060) and none of these reels had bearings; all were bushing reels.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Ron Jones

Well don't I feel sheepish,
I just went out and counted the ratio on my 85, and it is not 3:1 as PENNPARTS says, it is 2.3:1, the same as the 60 and Del Mar. However, the 185 uses the 6-309 drag washer. I don't have one, but it looks like it is the reel to have, I bet it's gear ratio is closer to 3:1 as advertised and it has jigmaster drags.

Sorry if I led anyone astray, just trusting the internet.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

I don't have any to test, I got rid of all of them. I don't see why you couldn't increase the ratio. Try a different pinion gear, maybe a 13-85  :-\.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Ron, I just found an 85...I don't know why i still have it ;D. You're right the 85 also has the 2.3:1, that tells us that there are a few listed wrong.  I'm not going to bother Mo at Scott's, they have enough in they're hands right now, but in the future, they should change  it.
I still believe you can increase the ratio on that reel, but might need to do a little fine-tuning to a different pinion.The 5-60 gear is shared by many, I don't see why not.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

Guys,
I don't think you can easily change the gear ratio on these reels.  I believe you must replace both gears.  When you enlarge the diameter of one gear, then you must decrease the diameter of the other gear a like amount.  Examples of where this is commonly done are installing high speed gears in the 113H, 114H, and jigmasters.  Another example is on the 349, converting it to a high speed 349H, or vice versa. 
  George
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

You are absolutely right George, I tried many combinations and ruined a few gears along the way, but on this one there is a very good chance that it could be done. I don't have the time at the moment or I would give it a shot.

George4741

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 06, 2012, 03:30:22 AM

but on this one there is a very good chance that it could be done.

And when someone does it, I eagerly await the results.
viurem lliures o morirem

Ron Jones

So,

Keta has said he wants to do this, and I want to so much I can taste it. I did some measuring and a 60 spool won't fit in a 112H right side plate because the spool shaft diameter is to big, it won't fit into the pinion. This is good because it can be turned down to fit relatively easily. I don't have access to a lathe on the island but during Christmas I'll be home and I will make a narrow 112H. If the 185 is truly 3:1 and uses jigmaster drags it may not make sense but I'm gonna do it anyway.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

otghoyt

A friend gave me a 285 and it's apart in front of me right now.  The handle side bushing extends about 1/2 inch past the plate.  The pinion slides on the outside of the bushing and the spool rides on the inside of the bushing.  The main is SIMILAR to a Squidder and 500 drags will not fit in there.